OT:About these virus posts

I've been plagued by these also. I looked at a 'full' version of Incredimail on a friends PC. I know it's an 'Outlook Express' rip-off and looks a bit kiddyfied (is that a real word?!) BUT there's an option on it to LOOK at whats on your email list at the ISP level. From the headers he told me you can choose to download what you want or just delete them so you don't have to waste the time downloading or risk any attachments.

Worth looking at, I'm going to try it on my PC at home, not a problem here at work.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Dave,

I use spampal ... you can find it at

- it does what it says on the tin :)

Neil Founder

(Fun, Friendly and FREE)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Not seen that, I'll give it a try.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Just had a look at the website, it looks like it still downloads the message first tho' before marking it as spam. This is no different to Mozilla that I use now. This 'Incredimail' thingy is supposed to allow you to look at the headers on the server and delete them without having to download the messages first.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Dave,

Ah ... I strip it from my mail gateway, so it probably works differently. However, Mailwasher (google for it!) does what you require and isn't bloatware like incredimail!

Neil Founder

(Fun, Friendly and FREE)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Dave,

Spampal works in conjunction with your mail software, as such I use the following rule in OE...but yes, it needs to download it first. With these new broadband connections however.....

Apply this rule after the message arrives Where the Subject line contains '**SPAM**' Delete it from server

Neil Founder

(Fun, Friendly and FREE)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

... Mailwasher (google for it!) does what you require and isn't

Found it, got it! Thanks alot.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

No worries :)

Neil Founder

(Fun, Friendly and FREE)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

You can do the same with Outlook Express...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

How??? I already have a multitude of 'rules' and 'blocked senders' which are a pain in the arse to keep setting up. Mozilla looked ok but still d/loads stuff before it does anything with it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

On or around Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:13:48 +0100, Dave Wheatley enlightened us thusly:

google for "mailwasher", which does the same trick and is free.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Incredimail is fine if you want all your mail to look like it was composed by a four year old and you don't have any friends with a Mac.

Regards Martyn Cottrell

Reply to
Martyn Cottrell

I use Mailwasher and it's really good .. looks at the mail before downloading it. You can blacklist email addresses and send false non-deliverable messages back to the originator. Well worth the dosh IMO.

Incredimail is full of spyware - avoid like the plague :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

Outlook Express only downloads the message to show you it in the preview pane. In 'Options', on the 'Read' tabl, unselect the 'Automatically download message when viewing in preview pane' option.

I think (!) this will do what you want. You will have to double click or hit enter to retrieve the message.

HTH

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

yep. just to reinforce what a wonderful program

is. does all you could hope for in a mail filter. sends a fake "returned message" letter to selected e-mails and instantly adds that address to the blocked list (not much use as most spammers use millions of different addresses, but might filter a few) and all the rest. download it. it's tops, and no other programs bundled with it.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

CAREFULL - some of these will do their nasty stuff from the Preview pane.

The best thing to do is us something like Yahoo mail. When you check mail from the yahoo website, it sticks all the crap in a bulk folder which you can delete before it gets anywhere near your PC.

Reply to
TheGhostOfSmokeyJoe

Indeed, which is why you are better switching off preview pane entirely. But if you don't let it automatically download, you don't have such a problem.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs