OT - anyone into R/C?

I have a beautiful silver 90 in Land Rover Experience trim, low miles, high/low ratios, trick suspension, FSH etc - unfortunately it is only a foot long and works by battery. Everything was OK until I was doing a short home-made off-road course in the caravan area at Malvern (and entertaining a couple of kids at the same time) when the steering started to play tricks. Symptoms as follows: when I switch the main power on, all is OK. If I then hit the steering button on the remote, either way, the steering starts to shunt back and forth rapidly. This makes it very hard to steer in a straight line. I can stop it by a) switching off and on again, and b) holding one of the wheels still until there is a little coggy buzzing noise, and then it stops until I next hit left/right on the remote.

I have no idea how these things work, beyond basic common sense. Can anyone who knows about these things (Rule of Tim etc) give me a pointer as to where to start looking? I have the full toolkit (jewellers' screwdrivers, kitchen table, soldering iron). Cheers.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

no estwing?

Reply to
William Tasso

Almost no experience but I have seen this with the cheap Nikko (shh) J**p thing I have, when (nearly) out of range.

Not your batteries (Rc or TX) starting to go down and thus reducing range is it?

Just something cheap and simple to try before going to far.

David

Reply to
rads

Richard Brookman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've seen this quite a few times, often on the full sized vehicles..... exactly how late / many bottles in to the evening was this again?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Is this a fully assembled jobbie, or one made from components ie seperate radio and kit and then you assemeble to the whole lot yourself.

If the former, then you have a problem, unless you know a fair bit about electronics. I found the performance of my kids cheap nikko was dramatically reduced after it was tested in the bottom of the pool.

If on the other hand it is a built up model, then you could try switching the speed and steering servos - although these days I gather that a lot of the speed controllers are electronic in which case you would have to try and borrow/beg/buy a servo to try it out with.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Sounds like a duff servo. Inside the servo is a little potentiometer, which I guess has either got a broken track, or has shit on it somewhere. The pot tells the motor where it is, the motor drives until the pot says the position is "right" by comparing it to the signal from the transmitter. If the pot is knackered, there is nothing to compare against.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yup, my money's on the feedback pot too.

Steve (a different one)

Reply to
Steve

|| On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:01:54 +0100, Richard Brookman || wrote: || ||| ... ||| I have the full toolkit (jewellers' screwdrivers, kitchen table, ||| soldering iron). || || no estwing?

In my hands, everything becomes an estwing eventually.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

rads wrote:

|| On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:01:54 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || wrote: || ||| I have a beautiful silver 90 in Land Rover Experience trim, low ||| miles, high/low ratios, trick suspension, FSH etc - unfortunately ||| it is only a foot long and works by battery. Everything was OK ||| until I was doing a short home-made off-road course in the caravan ||| area at Malvern (and entertaining a couple of kids at the same ||| time) when the steering started to play tricks. Symptoms as ||| follows: when I switch the main power on, all is OK. If I then ||| hit the steering button on the remote, either way, the steering ||| starts to shunt back and forth rapidly. This makes it very hard to ||| steer in a straight line. I can stop it by a) switching off and on ||| again, and b) holding one of the wheels still until there is a ||| little coggy buzzing noise, and then it stops until I next hit ||| left/right on the remote. ||| ||| I have no idea how these things work, beyond basic common sense. ||| Can anyone who knows about these things (Rule of Tim etc) give me a ||| pointer as to where to start looking? I have the full toolkit ||| (jewellers' screwdrivers, kitchen table, soldering iron). Cheers. || || Almost no experience but I have seen this with the cheap Nikko (shh) || J**p thing I have, when (nearly) out of range. || || Not your batteries (Rc or TX) starting to go down and thus reducing || range is it? || || Just something cheap and simple to try before going to far. || || David

Thanks. Batteries all good.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Richard Brookman uttered || summat worrerz funny about: ||| I have a beautiful silver 90 in Land Rover Experience trim, low ||| miles, high/low ratios, trick suspension, FSH etc - unfortunately ||| it is only a foot long and works by battery. Everything was OK ||| until I was doing a short home-made off-road course in the caravan ||| area at Malvern (and entertaining a couple of kids at the same ||| time) when the steering started to play tricks. Symptoms as ||| follows: when I switch the main power on, all is OK. If I then ||| hit the steering button on the remote, either way, the steering ||| starts to shunt back and forth rapidly. This makes it very hard to ||| steer in a straight line. I can stop it by a) switching off and on ||| again, and b) holding one of the wheels still until there is a ||| little coggy buzzing noise, and then it stops until I next hit ||| left/right on the remote. ||| I have no idea how these things work, beyond basic common sense. ||| Can anyone who knows about these things (Rule of Tim etc) give me a ||| pointer as to where to start looking? I have the full toolkit ||| (jewellers' screwdrivers, kitchen table, soldering iron). Cheers. || || I've seen this quite a few times, often on the full sized || vehicles..... exactly how late / many bottles in to the evening was || this again? || || || Lee D

If it was a real vehicle, you wouldn't hold onto your lunch. Imagine going over rough ground with the driver spinning it from lock to lock with a frequency of about 4Hz. OK, not imagine but remember ... :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Is this a fully assembled jobbie, or one made from components ie || seperate radio and kit and then you assemeble to the whole lot || yourself. || || If the former, then you have a problem, unless you know a fair bit || about electronics. I found the performance of my kids cheap nikko || was dramatically reduced after it was tested in the bottom of the || pool. || || If on the other hand it is a built up model, then you could try || switching the speed and steering servos - although these days I || gather that a lot of the speed controllers are electronic in which || case you would have to try and borrow/beg/buy a servo to try it out || with. || || Regards || Stephen

It's an assembled package. If I'd built it myself I might have an idea where to look, but I haven't even taken its bottom off. If I can identify the servos I will try switching them, thanks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Steves

Many thanks - that's where I'll start looking. Are these easily replaceable/obtainable?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A picture would help.

Steve