OT: Anyone using Skype? Garage conference anyone ;-)

Sort of along the lines of MSN only the video seems to be better to me.

Does some video conferencing too. Just been tinkering the last couple of days. Can't find the virtual camp fire brazier yet though,but!, it should be possible to have a web cam on one on a seperate account. ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In article , Lee_D writes

Yes, it's pretty good, especially on transatlantic stuff (mostly what I use it for). Calling-out credit (to land-lines) seems to last for ages, although the quality is very variable. The other thing that it doesn't have but really should is a DTMF generator. For conference calls I have to use an old handheld one, which is a PITA.

I've not yet tried the video 'phone (it's in Skype 2, currently in beta). For that, iChat looks much better (I don't think you can actually video conference in Skype but you can in iChat).

Skype-in is cool - I now have a central London number!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

yes - my only gripe with is it's not standards compliant. But it works well for skype-to-skype calls.

Reply to
William Tasso

"William Tasso" wrote

Yes, we use it for calls to/from friends in Toulouse but I find it impossible to get others to try it. They simply ignore me, no change there! :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

For conference calls I have to use an old handheld one, which is a PITA.

You sure about that? Last week I had to call a 1800 stateside number and was put straight into a maze of options which I successfully navigated with the onscreen dialpad .... I'm using version 1.2.0.18

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Hmm.

I'm on 1.4.0.84. The keypad doesn't _seem_ to do anything (I did try). I'll try again - it may just be the way dial-out works on some connections.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Bob Hobden writes

S'funny, I get just the same response. I admit to being surprised about how good the quality is too. I haven't measured it but Skype-Skype bandwidth is excellent may be as much as 60-8kHz.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Simonm wrote in reply to Bob Hobden

The only gripe I have is that whilst it works well with the normal speakers and microphone you can get some feedback where you hear yourself a fraction of a second after you have spoken, which can be off-putting, but it is good enough to try the system. A proper headphone set or Skype PC phone is better. Not that dear anyway, especially considering the savings when dialling abroad.

We talk to our friends in Toulouse (also on Skype) for ages and it's free, amazing. Just wish the relatives/friends in Oz would listen to me and get the Skype program.

Bob Hobden