OT - British Gas - electric rip off

Electrical installations 17th Edition course.

That'll qualify you to do an electrical power installation just about anywhere without oversight.

Reply to
William Black

You've got to be CORGI registered to plug in the bayonet connector for a gas cooker these days...

It's getting daft.

Reply to
William Black

I think it was the "big six-wheeler scarlet painted London Transport diesel-engined 97 horsepower omniBUS" that sparked my interest in big diesels.

Hold very tight please - ting-ting!

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:07:19 +0100, steve enlightened us thusly:

but the British control freaks^W^W government seem to have a unique knack for taking anything stupid that the EU propose, enforcing it to the letter and then gilding the lily with extra stuff on top.

It's not only CORGI and prat P regulations and so on, it's happening all over. Meanwhile other EU countries just ignore stuff - not long ago, IIRC, Italy hadn't implemented milk quotas, which we've had for years, even decades.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Heating "Engineer" What qualifies one to be such an engineer, Is he perhaps not better described as a Heating "Installer"? As in CORGI?

Reply to
GbH

Corgi? Sounds like the remains of an Italian apple! ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Nah, its a sawn off Welsh dawg!

Reply to
GbH

To get on the Electrical Installation course you need a level 3 qualification, so either 'Engineering Technician' or 'Technician Engineer' (they mean different things, but I can't honestly remember which is which) would be the correct term.

Reply to
William Black

So are Series one land rovers but they still do the job - just to come vaguely on topic:)

Reply to
hugh

Rip off. Others have posted more realistic prices for a CU replacement but...

It sounds like a rather old installation. I'd be tempted to look at havi= ng the place rewired or at least fully inspected and tested before just replacing the CU. I'm not a great one for rewiring a place that is done = in PVC just because it's 30+ years old though. If there was a hint of rubbe= r, lead, paper or cotton insulated cable being about that is a different matter.

Probably but I don't like the new regs that pretty much enforce the use = of a whole house RCD or (expensive) RCBOs. Sockets on RCD protection but no= t fixed appliances like the oven/cooker, heating, immersion heater, lighti= ng etc.

Depends modern trips have a habit of tripping when a bulb goes phutt, no= t good to be plunged into darkness. A 5A rewireable fuse is rarely, if eve= r, taken out by a blub going pop.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is the right answer. ("Cor gi" is Welsh for 'dwarf dog'.)

Reply to
Rich B

Is that a typo, or do you call them 'blubs' too?

Reply to
Rich B

I call them "lamps" (but then that's just a habit from work)!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Typo.

"Lamps" are the housing a "bubble" (glass bit with hot wire or arc inside) goes in, both combined is a "luminaire". B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Shame. 'Blubs' is great.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Thu, 2 Oct 2008 06:54:17 +0100, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

I call the strip ones flourescents. and yes, blubs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ditto

Reply to
EMB

Should we form a slef-help group?

Reply to
Rich B

Shouldn't that be a slef-hlep group? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm trying to control it, not make it worse :-)

Reply to
Rich B