[OT - Geekage] In house 'networks'

Was just discussing this randomly with a mate earlier, and as I knew there was some severe geekage in here, I wondered what everyone had in terms of a 'network' in their houses? We have (just lost brothers PC, Xbox 360 and Laptop when he moved out) -

My PC Xbox 360 PS3

These go into one switch in my room, down to the 'office' where there is -

Server (used mainly for printing/storing) Router another Switch a gaming speeding up little box thing (can't remember the details of this - but it's a little box the connection runs through, so when you're gaming it priotitises it or something - it made a big difference anyway!) Parents PC Wifi Booster

And sitting on Wifi we have

My Laptop My PSP Parents laptop Wifi Internet Radio doodah

So that's 9 actual 'devices' and a bunch of connecty equipment. What has everyone else?

Reply to
DanB

Hmmm, it's all being taken apart right now, but at the last "complete" stage it was:

BT Business Hub Apple iMac Apple G5 Apple MacBook Asus Eee FlipStart Acer laptop thing PSP Wii PS3 (when it was here) XBox via bridge

All on WiFi

Then

LaserJet, Epson scanner, Apple Mac Quadra, NeXT, Dell PC, Acorn Archimedes

On Ethernet

Then

Apple //e, Apple IIgs, Apple Mac SE, Apple ImageWriter

On LocalTalk (via the Quadra).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Ok coming in there is the BT ADSL 4 port 2500V Modem/Router/Wifi (WiFi disabled)

From that one port goes to the network printer (A3 photo job) Another to an 8 port 3Com hub Another to a 4 port Router with Wifi (Linksys)

On the network there are 6 hard wired PCs (only 4 are running right now), my Mac (on the odd occasion it's not crashing), one 360 and my PS3.

On Wifi, upto 3 laptops, my PDA, 2 PSPs, Wii, Phone, Ipod Touch.

I think there is something missing from that list but I can't think what.

Loads of VNC traffic on this network, mainly wired so I can stream HD content.

Reply to
Depresion

Cheapo Netgear ADSL modem/switch that's plugged to a Cisco 2600 router, which is plugged into a Cisco 3650 switch to which are connected two Cisco APs. There's two laptops running wirelessly, an Ubuntu Linux box and a Win

2K3 server running off this lot..

It's all a bit excessive really, but I'm doing my Cisco exams and work let me take the kit home to play with..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Now, I see a few of us have PSPs. Do you guys actually use yours? Mine has the Devhook firmware, and I have the Simulation disc of Gran Turismo 2 loaded onto my memory stick - which is the only thing I have ever really played for any length of time on it. All the other games are just junk. Nothing of any real quality IMHO. Haven't played on it for a fair while now I admit, also got a couple of UMDs that came with it at the time (well, Predator did, I bought Serenity for Ebay for a few quid).

Now I have a PS3, I beleive there is some things my PSP can do with my PS3? Any ideas what it can do and how you do it?

Reply to
DanB

You can remote control media, and watch movies stored on the PS3.

You can remotely access it via WiFi and internet - so find a hotspot and if configured correctly, you can control your PS3 at home from anywhere.

You can buy PS1 games on the store and put them on the PSP.

And that's about it at present, that I'm aware of.

I have a PSP but I really haven't used it, the controls annoy me and it's hard to see the screen with a lot of activity on it. The games that are PS2-esque ports are just too busy for that screen area, like Vice City Stories.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Router Wireless print server

3 laptops Desktop 2 PSPs Wii PDA
Reply to
Grant

So.... can you print to the ImageWriter from the EEE? And can the Archie speak to anything?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Billion 7402R2M router Belkin (temporary) Wireless Access Point Mailserver - old Compaq Deskpro with APC 1500 Smartups (all above on ups) Main Laptop Kids Laptop Home shared PC Wii Xbox (unused for ages) PSP (unused for a while)

4x Nintendo DS Various unused / underused PDAs
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

When it was setup, the Eee could theoretically have printed to the ImageWriter using printersharing from a Mac running OS X.

The Archie could just about talk to the internet. Almost. The Apple IIgs could read newsgroups, and handle IRC as a Classic Desk Accessory - which is pretty good going for 1986 8-bit derived technology (a 16-bit

65C816 running at 2.8MHz as standard). All done with Apple soft/hardware apart from a LocalTalk to Internet router on the Mac Quadra.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Hmm.

Virgin cable comes into the Surfboard cable modem, then to a Motorola VT2442 WAN router/VoIP switch handling my Vonage phone line (no landline).

The VT2442 goes to three local PCs in 'the office' and a Safecom SWAMRU-54108 wireless 4 port router/printer hub with an external 8.5dB

180 degree directional aerial to blanket the house.

Wired to downstairs is a Netgear FS605 5 port switch to an XBox running XBMC (best bit of the lot), a Wii, a PS2, a wired/wireless laptop and a 'living room PC' for those times when you just gotta Google.

In the bedroom is another wired XBMC XBox, and the laptop goes up there wireless so I can watch something decent while 'she' watches Ghostycrap on TV.

Oh, and upstairs there's also a Netgear 'toaster' (SC-101) fanless RAID disk server which is soon to be retired in favour of a FreeNAS server running uPnP, DAAP, NFS, Samba etc etc. and also doing very-offsite rsync based backup for a mate's business. At the same time the upstairs chunk will go GBit -the toaster maxed out at 1.5MB/s where the FreeNAS is network limited to ~10MB/s.

Hmm. Is it very sad that I didn't need to look up any of those model numbers?

Reply to
PCPaul

Netgear DG834G as the incomer, also providing WiFi for my lappy or visiting lappys Buffalo NAS

-------------both on a UPS in the cellar where its cool-----------------

Cat5 upto the office where a Cnet switch serves:

PC 1 PC 2 Dlink Print Server - Canon ip4000 printer. HP LJ 2300DN Linksys voip box.

Nothing extreme!

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

OK, Linksys ADSL/2/2+ router, into Linksys 802.11G wifi and Correga

10/100 switch.

Wii, HTC Trinity, and this cheap ass advent laptop on wireless.

My old pc(dead), GFs PC, and server PC on the wired switch.

That's about it for now.

Reply to
Elder

Erm,

MacBook iMac G4 Powerbook Pismo Thinkpad Asus Eee Toshibo Vista Laptop Media Centre PC Nintendo Wii Netgear Media Player

No connectivity equipment, everything is wireless from the Voyager router.

Reply to
SteveH

Except a UPS hehe!

Reply to
DanB

PC and printer hard wired to ADSL Modem router.

Connecting via Wifi... Xbox 360 PS3 Wii My laptop running Vista Wifeys laptop running Mandriva 2008.1

Reply to
Conor

No, I got one for GT-Mobile, then won one, so one has an old firmware and a few home brew apps and one has a newer but still old firmware that doesn't do home brew, I used them most for mobile internet but the Touch or EEE prove better for that.

Reply to
Depresion

Dining room:

My main PC My company laptop docking station The NAS box Printer

These are all connected by cable to the router, except the printer which is on the PC, shared

Living room:

My own laptop docking station. It is connected to the TV and I use Beyond Media with a streamzap remote to access media on the NAS box. I've got faceplates on either side of the stud wall and it's connected to the last free port on the router

Wi-Fi:

Damn, my four year old has his own PC in his room, so he can do stuff on the Cbeebies website without pestering me!

Nintendo DS The laptops can go Wi-Fi if I want

2xPocket PC
Reply to
Abo

Isn't there some driving game where you can balance the PSP on top of your TV and use it as a rear view mirror?

Reply to
Abo

They did demo a feature like that, but I'm not sure if it's been adopted, is in one game only (was it a Formula One type game?) or was just a proof of concept. Certainly I don't see clever stuff like GTA:UV making the PSP into your satnav/mobile phone, which would be Really Neat.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick