OT: Canon EOS Digital

Well I've been wanting a good SLR for a while and having seen the lads at the unofficial and the FIL at Cosford Airshow I've been tipped over the edge. The sale of my IIA hopefully should fund one from Eblag.

Only thing I don't really understand is how the lenses work as in the numbering i.e. 18 - 55mm - Whats that all about?

I'm looking at the Canon EOS only because it's what the FIL has so I'd be going on recommendation. I used to do alot of Photography at school and regularly used the dark room - I've forgotten more than I presently know, I think it's gone with the hair.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I sold my Nikon D70 & bought a Samsung GX/1L. Miles smaller & I get better results.

Cheaper too.

Reply to
Nige

Lee

This is a great camera. My mother has one and she swears by it (F**K!!!) She paid abot £700 about 18 months ago, and is now a bit pissed off that its available for £400 new

the link

Reply to
Justin Bell

Ello!

Working for Fujifilm, I should recommend the FinePix S5 Pro - But i aint.

Becky has got a Canon Eos 20D, and i love it. For what we use it for its far better.

If you want a Fuji camera, I can get a staff price for you, as im good like that.

I would also say that good media is crucial. Good as in Write Speed. If you get a compact flash one, get a 100x card. Most are 40x, and the camera takes an age to dump the files to the card!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Used to be a case of go for the lens and the reast follows ie Leica lens brill so get a Leica. However that was in my A1 T90 days now it all seems a bit youthful. Been looking for a compact digital for a month or two and after a lot of research and opinions from google searchs came up with Panasonic TZ3 which has a 28 - 280 mm zoom( old way ) and seems to be dogs nuts. Tried to get one from net and all sold out so will definately get this when I can.

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

Right,

I dunno what the 20D is but it sounds expensive though I've found this one

Which seems to fit my budget. I'd like eventually to get a zoom lense too and I'll need to get a mem card taking note of the speed of transfer.

What sort of resolution do you do common garden images at? I guess times where I'll be taking 10meg pixel images will be few and far between. Just wondering what size memory card to get initially in the compromise of capacity v quality.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I've had both Canon SLR and digital SLR for a number of years now. Currently using a 300D, which is a 6.3MP i think. It's round about 4 years old now but still takes good pics and has put up with alot of abuse taking long exposure shots underground. Have just px'ed an old 75-300 zoom for an image stabilised 70-300 one.

Dom Jackson

Reply to
Dom J

Lee,

all these are from my Nikon D70.

With a 1Gb card, I get 250 RAW images (thats straight off the CCD, and makes buggering about with them in photoshop a doddle) or a stupid amount of low res small size images (they're about 75K each, so you do the maths)

HTH

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

An example from my Nikon D80:

from my D50:
D80 is 10 megapixel, D50 is 6 megapixel. Ok, I've resized both images to

1024 pixels wide but unless you're thinking of printing your pix larger than A4 size you won't notice the difference in the quality as it comes out of the camera. Personally I'm a Nikon fan but there probably isn't any difference in laymans terms between Canon and Nikon. Oh yes, and both pix were taken in high quality jpeg mode rather than RAW - I haven't touched them other than to resize them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Nice pics there guys.

I've officially got the SLR bug again. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just an update - I've got myself a 400D EOS... it came with a 18 - 55 mm Canon Zoom. I feel like a big kid at Christmas. Just taken some final piccys of the IIa that the sale of which has funded the camera. I'm hoping to get a wide angle lense next for some landscape photography. Just wish I had it before we went up Snowdon last week but it's a fine excuse to pop up again.

Got a 2 Gig Extreme II CF card which will hold around 1300 odd images at the lower end scale which is still frigg'in massive.

Prepare for death by photos ;-) Thanks everyone for your input.

:-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Why do offers always come up after you need them??

Mark Solesbury

I'm not too bitter - £470 with £50 cash back to come on the 400D which is a teansy weansy bit better spec :-)

Reply to
Lee_D

TBH, I had the utter misfortune to use pixmania for something last year, and it was the most horrendous experience i've had purchasing something. I ordered based on the manufacturers product number, they sold based on the same number (same pics, writeup etc), but they meant something different.

Funniest part was they apologised for being unable to send the wrong one, so they were told they had sent the wrong one, then they asked why I was complaining if they had sent that then it must be ok then?

Twits

Si

Reply to
GrnOval