OT: could my landy pull 155 tons too? :)

That's the one! About as reliable as a very unreliable thing, and fantastically noisey.... every year was "We've got running ok now......". Bang! "Anyone got a rope?"

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Heh, if it had a flywheel on one side and what looked like a train wheel instead of a flywheel on the other then it might even be the same one, not many of them around. It was an 8 tonne job I think, can't remember if that was with water in the wheels or not.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If I've done the sums right, an empty Touareg weighs more than my Land Rover, fully loaded, and may not be far short of a LWB or 110.

I'd agree about the ballast that took it over the rated maximum.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:57:25 +0000, Ian Rawlings scribbled the following nonsense:

I think its the same engine as used in the Reliant Robin

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

A 650 Steyr-Puch. At least one has been re-engined with a Reliant engine though.

For a good Landrover laugh look at this:

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

|| For a good Landrover laugh look at this: || ||

Seen it before, but hell it's funny. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:13:22 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

there's a virtual Harley one somewhere...

aha:

Austin Shackles

I know the vehicle was made by Steyr Puch, but I thought they had a BMW motorcycle engine in them? A flat twin?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I'm not sure about it being a BMW motorcycle engine -- as far as I know it was Steyr-Puch's own. But it WAS used in the infamous blue

3-wheeled 'Invacar' invalid carriage in the UK, so my old friend Peter Ward (of Lealholm Service Station in the Esk Valley near Whitby) bought all the remaining Haflinger engine spares when Steyr-Puch disposed of them, and established a business keeping the Invacars on the road.

It was HIS Haflinger and County tractor that I referred to earlier. The Haflinger was wonderful, being so low geared for aircraft carrier use that it had a top speed of about 25 mph in fifth (?), but in first would just about reach slow walking speed at max revs. It would, as I suggested, pull ANYTHING (albeit slowly)!

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

Hmm, I thought he bought them all up to keep the haflinger on the road, and sold the business to to Dale Harrison who still sells haflinger parts and also sells me all my pinzgauer bits and pieces. Are you sure you're not getting wires crossed somewhere?

There's a history page on Dale's site that details the story, go to

and click "history" on the right pane. When looking up pinz stuff before buying one, Peter Ward's name kept cropping up WRT pinzgauers and haflingers as the primary parts supplier until 2000-ish so he was certainly well known in the haflinger community.

It seems that a steyr-puch engine of the same size and spec as the haflinger engine was used in the later invacars so you're probably right about the engine being shared in some of them.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I bought and scrapped quite a few Invacars and Auto Carriers and they all had 197cc Villiers engines fitted with Dynastarts driving one back wheel. We had loads of fun racing them round a mill yard until we wrecked them all. Lots of wierd controls and I kept an old lady's Invacar going for years until they started to maintain it again, they tried to take it off her and give her a converted car but she loved her little three wheeler, wouldn't part with it, good for her!

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I did a quick google and it seems some of the later ones had a larger engine, quite why they'd need one I don't know ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They were going to make them 6x6 as well but someone decided that was an overkill to put them on a par with normal traffic. :-))

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I think you may have mistakenly assumed it was a 6x6 invacar, it was probably just a queue for parking outside the bingo hall!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No, I was confusing Haflinger Steyr-Puch with Pinz -Gauer, not a hard thing to do, it's an age thing. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ian Rawlings wrote: