safari landy

could someone tell me what makes a landy a safari? or is it a spec'd variant? series 2 or 3 or what etc!

many thanks. . . im slowly getting the hang of this lark

teddave

Reply to
teddave

Series 2 or 3

SWB and Long

take a peek at Jay-Lo....

look at the roof - extra skin (also known as a tropical roof) keeps things cool in company with the internal vents, the lwb has the rear side doors and a rear safari door is the door which opens as opposed to an upper and lower tailgate. Also factory fitted rear side windows which slide and are rubberless ...i.e. proper frames fixing to the body work.

HTH

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

tks Lee

in fact ive already checked j lo's rear, i love that white look, very nice. sounds like a safari is what im after.

im planning an overland trip UK to Kenya via Sahara and beyond. at the moment Im thinking Series 3 diesel LWB. i suppose adding in Safari to my spec is making things a whole lot more difficult!

presumably a full roof rack is okay with the extra skin

so if anyone wants to sell me one, do shout!

tks teddave

"Lee_D"

Reply to
teddave

I don't think Safari's are particularly rare, and conversion to Safari spec would not be difficult - just bolt on the roof and swap the rear door would get you 90% there...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

tks tim

that begs the question why would one want to change the door?

teddave

Reply to
teddave

Standard door is a two piece drop and lift job - bottom drops and top lifts up. Utterly hopeless for any purpose, as the bottom traps fingers and the top falls on your head.

Safari door is a one-piece, hinged at the side. Just like a proper door!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Fitting a full length boarded roof rack has the same effect as a tropical roof. The cooling effect is achieved by the airflow between the roof and the boards. If you can get hold of a copy of Vehicle Based Expeditions by Tom Sheppard it's worth its weight in gold, going to such arcane matters as differences in fuel and lubricants. It also covers vehicle mods, shipping, clothing and anything else you need to know.

I bought my copy from Landcraft at Billing about three years ago and still find something new every time I pick it up. It's the best 19 quid I've ever spent! Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

A safari is a FIVE door - the tropical roof and "safari door" were part of the spec. Converting a 3 door hard-top to 5 door safari spec is a little more complicated isn't it?

Reply to
Mike Buckley

What about the SWB with tropical roof? what does one refer to those as?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D

Well said! Forgot about them - duh - ok - a "safari" is either a three door or a five door, with a tropical roof, intended for carrying passengers in that it will have 12 or 7 seats. The 12 seater varient was intended to avoid car-tax.

Reply to
Mike Buckley