OT Digital Cameras

OK - I'm after a decent digital camera. I'm currently looking at the Canon G5 and the Olympus 5060. Any others I should be considering.....or what about the EOS 300D for a couple of hundred quid more? Any suggestions?

TIA Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

EOS 300D is to die for, but then the 10D is only a few hundred more than that... I've got quite a few EOS lenses so it does appeal and I may yet batter the credit card for one just before I go on holiday.

Things to consider (IMHO) are

i) battery life (some are truly awful) ii) size - do you want portable or do you want 'easily usable' iii) what are you going to print iv) latency - some cameras have a huge delay between 'press button' and 'picture taken'

Try to aim for at least 200 dpi at your chosen biggest print size. That tells you how many megapixels you need.

I have a 4mp Sony camera, which is big and chunky, but has manual overrides and quick access to functions without going through multi-level menus. Battery life is superb. Latency is terrible.

Mandy has a 2mp Exilim which is tiny, low latency, no zoom and poorish flash, but a great snapshot camera that she can carry anywhere.

is a great place for independent technical analysis.

Also look at how you print -

(and loads of other places) do much better prints than you can get at home and the prices are not much higher than home printing, before you take the cap-ex of a decent printer into account.

If you want super-portable (and it sounds like you don't) Sony have a fantastic 5mp, fixed-size zoom super-portable about to launch. One of my techies is desperately trying to source one before he goes to Sri Lanka next month (currently trying to import from US).

HTH

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

sorry about the double sig, just re-installed and forgot to put OE-QuoteFix back on

people from starting a top/bottom posting fight with you

Reply to
Nigel

Cheers for the suggestions. I have one of the original Digital Ixus (2mp) which is fantastic for point and shoot. But I'm looking for summat to take better landscapes with. The Sony model with the Carl Zeiss lense is also on the consideration list - not sure if that is the latest one?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

"Decent" is a somewhat movable target.

What do you want to use it for?

Me, I'm waiting for Cosina to bring out a digital camera that accepts Leica Screw Mount lenses.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I have an Olympus 5050Z and am very impressed by it. Especially as it will autofocus in total darkness :-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:50:42 +0000, Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

prolly got an IR system and an IR or red light. I've seen such on some cameras.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Correct. I mentioned it because I think it inexcusable that some autofocus digital cameras are not so equipped, eg the Fuji Finepix that I nearly bought. Even my £100 35mm point and shoot has one.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Hmm, I bought an S602 and the lack of autofocus in gloomy conditions can be a bit annoying to say the least. Otherwise a very nice camera though.

Reply to
Simon Barr