OT : [free] DVLA/VOSA websites for checking vehicle history

Anyone buying a second hand vehicle might find these links useful.

will allow you to see the details the DVLA hold about the vehicle (well, a limited subset anyway - enough to help verify the vehicle legit)

and

will let you check the MOT status - if it has one of the new printed out MOTs. You can even see if there were any advisories issued by clicking "Request history".

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:29:33 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

you need the reference number off the reg doc for that one to work, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On the DVLA one you need it to check the V5 is genuine. but you can still get some info by entering the reg. number and the vehicle manufacturer.

On the VOSA one you need to number off the MOT cert. - but you can easily get them from the vendor or just make a note and bring it home. Or if you have a laptop and a mobile phone with you to check on the spot with a GPRS connection :-)

Still, they are both worth a look I reckon before buying if you are a bit unsure.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:46:32 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

I for one would be wary about giving out reference numbers to all and sundry, but yes, you could look at the document and make notes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, know what you mean - I don't think I'd mind giving out a reference number to someone who called, but when I sold the Espace a bloke phoned me up and asked if I could fax him a copy of the V5! No bloody chance!! Gave me some line about wanting to know exactly which model it was. He wasn't happy with me just reading the model as written out to him over the phone. Sounded very dodgy, especially as he wasn't English.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Wow it actually found one of my old Lambretta Scooters, says it is white, it was blue when I left it.

Reply to
Larry

What does it mean by date of liability then, I have found a former write off with a date of liability long after I left it for scrap.

Reply to
Larry

I think it is the date it is taxed until IIRC. Don't know why it would say that - unless someone has revived it?!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:33:35 +0200, Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

that's my understanding but it's also the date at which you have to re-apply for SORN.

and who was responsible for that bit of crappy programming? wonder how much that costs in extra admin every year? I bet it's not as much as they gather in penalties for not doing it. FFS, once it's off the road, it's off the road, until such time as it goes back on the road (if it does) and at that point it's liable for tax again. I can't see any good reason for having to declare something off-road every year.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Doesn't matter what you call that outfit in Swansea this week, their computer records are unreliable. The Police don't trust them. It's not much different, from their PoV, from the problem of a witness misremembering the vehicle number.

And the whole business of congestion charging, speed cameras, and the looming track-every-vehicle insanity, while there might be better input data, founders on a central record system which can't even maintain self-consistency.

(I may have mentioned the business of the combine harvester reported in a supermarket car park, two years after I sold it.)

Incidentally, all this big brother stuff is one reason for the SORN. Not that anyone seems to care that a vehicle might be carrying false plates.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I can't see the reason for the sorn declaration at all.

Reply to
William Tasso

Serves no purpose at all. (Its illegal to use the vehicle on the road whether you declare sorn or not).

Its so they can charge for it in the future!!!

Reply to
Nick

But to a goverment there is the best reason in the world. Tax. Taxes are the reason for goverments. Historically tax is the only reason for goverments. Why bother to rule people if they don't pay you for doing it?

If you don't file for SORN you are 'admiting' you owe tax. Naturally they insist you renew. We are lucky we don't have to get an official inspection with a fee before we can scrap something and stop being liable for tax.

HTH nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Don't give them ideas!!

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

So they can max out there revenue, I guess they are worried that something that has been lying around in a field for years might sneak back on the road and deprive them of a paltry sum.

Reply to
Larry