installing a 2.5 turbo in a 88lw lhd.......

i never knew it would give me so mutch troubble, engine's almost wasted, so i did a rebuild. crammed it in the 88lw, the turbo exaust was just above the steering box arm.... tried to connect it all together, installed a serie's oil cooler and adjusted the electrics. and started to build an home made exaust. the flanges, installed a heath shield, started her up, oil leaking from the rear engine gasget, replaced the gasget, and today, we build the last of the exaust. all done, and ready for mot, so we can go to the war and peace show. (mine's not standart now ;) ) cheers, a happy, Arjan Wilbie (a 2.5 turbo without a muffler in the exaust system, am i nuts?..........)

Reply to
the dutch nutter

silencers are not so critical in turbo cars because the turbo does quite a bit of noise muffling by its operation!. having driven a 2.5 n/a with just a very old cherry bomb coming out under the passenger seat a 2.5 turbo should be quieter so it cant be too bad! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

the man at the garage told me to use ear plugs, but it is not worse then driving the 101fc (with openings to let the air out from under the engine cover)... i don't know if it's legal how it's done right now, but legalty and mot / dutch dvla? they both do it divirent. the dvla looks at it, asks questions about originality, and howmutch sound it produces, mot looks at it, no extra holes, and how is fixed to the car, and let's me go. it's a shame it's not legal to mount the exaust next to the window. cheers, Arjan

Reply to
the dutch nutter

I had a Series II 2.25 diesel, and the exhaust rusted through on the first bend after the manifold. I tried driving it to the local parts supplier, but gave up after 2 miles - the noise was fantastic! (in all senses of the word...)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

a 2.25 petrol with .40 oversize pistons sounds nice to, the 2.25 diesel sounds fun on the highway's at 60mph. all with no exaust. the 3.5 low compression sounded better, but..... a 3.9 blok,4.0 headgasgets and 3.5 high compression heads sounded like horror :-) flames everywhere :-)

now the better news, my 88lw passed the mot :-) :-) now find the parts i want at the war and peace, military headlight rings, and all other stuff to build a military tow truck, and convert a dutch army 88lw to uk spects. (wing boxes, stickers etc) cheers, Arjan Wilbie

Reply to
the dutch nutter

after the test drive, oil everywhere, is good to have the bucket-o-bolts back :-) cheers, Arjan (fixing it all, before the show)