OT: Ifor Williams Trailer

Father is after a fourteen foot Ifor Williams flat bed with sides. He wasn't going to buy new, but it would appear that they make crazy money second hand. He has been quoted £1900 for a new one, so he figured £1400 for a three year old one ought to be plenty. He's been looking on ebay and they make anything up to £2000 for an old one!! Wondered if anyone had any suggestions of where to locate one at sensible money?

Reply to
Graham G

If you are offered one "for the right money" make sure you take asbestos gloves with you to view.........

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

beamendsltd muttered summat about:

Why do you say that? Have seen no end in farm sales making sensible money, trouble is, now actually want one there aren't any farm sales. Can't see the sense in buying an old one for more than £1400 when for an extra £500 you could have a new one with a warranty!

Reply to
Graham G

In message , beamendsltd writes

Absolutely. It's important to remember that a fresher one will have a plate with a number on it. If you ring IW they will now who they sold it to. Horseboxe's are routinely chipped now.

Reply to
mark

Chances are it will be nicked if it is cheep !

Friend of mine bought a brand new one 18 years ago (14fit with sides etc) he used and abused it and this year sold it on ebay in need of floor and tyres. He lost 400 pounds in 18years ! That's what I call depreciation.

Reply to
Marc Draper

"Graham G" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I suspect this is a fertile area for VAT fraud.

I bought a very nice 8X5 twin axle IW for a reasonable price (no VAT) -- but it required a complete replacement of the brakes on one wheel. That is enough to put most purchasers off, but it was easily fixed.

So, I have been keeping an eye on prices of secondhand trailers in our local paper (ScotAds)in case I can find another in a similar condition!

It seems to me that some buy a new trailer, re-claim the VAT, use it for six months, then sell without VAT on the secondhand market for cash, claiming it was stolen or sold for a lot less -- or they replace it with another cheaper -- or perhaps don't bother! Instant profit. The VAT on a £1900 trailer is damned nearly £300.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Keep an eye out on

They now have a link for farm/plant/trailers etc. There's a 16 footer on there at the moment by ifor williams, 2 years old for £1100 ono.It doesn't mention sides though!. hth.

Reply to
bones

have a shufty at wessex trailers (think the website is very obvious)

they are based in bournemouth from memory, but also have a site in coventry.

we've used one of their 16 ft plant trailers, and they are fab to tow

HTH

Si

Reply to
SiK

SiK muttered summat about:

Thanks all!! Will pass the info on. Keep telling him to go for a new one, but he says he can't justify it so will have to remain on the look out I guess.

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Sun, 6 Nov 2005 11:47:14 -0000, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

email me the required spec: size (load bed, hitch height) required load capacity, desired wheels (small ones, LR size, van size) wheel config (underfloor, outboard, etc.)

and I'll have a crack at pricing up making you one...

I'd have thought it'd come in under 1900 (not checked component prices lately), but it'll not be galvanised. Probably prime it with galvafroid instead, or equivalent.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles muttered summat about:

I'll ask him. Cheers

Reply to
Graham G

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Have you got an inexpensive supplier?

My last tin was near 40UKP for 2.5 litres, IIRC (could've been more than that). I need more, but not the mortgage to go with it.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig