OT : MS Vista problem :-))

Seems ole Gates still can't get it correct

Imagine the dire consequence of the proposed Bluetooth software Ford want to use for their cars, created by MS. Driving along enjoying a lovely days laning and you see a rambler ....... car tells itself to run down the rambler ! Explain that one in court !

Reply to
Hirsty's

Saw him on the BBC a couple of nights ago saying there is a global pricing policy, Yeh right! Amazon.com sell the Vista Premium Upgrade for US$153.99 (£78.54) yet Amazon.co.uk sell it for £144.99. Rip off Britain yet again!

Reply to
Bob Hobden

OK, so UK-advertised prices should _include_ the VAT, while US prices don't include their sales tax. Which varies from state to state. I'd say that justifies a price difference of no more than 15%. Allow another 5% for currency movements, but since the dollar has been slowly falling, Microsoft should be gaining from the shifts since prices were set.

If that product were selling for GBP 99.99 I wouldn't class it as a rip- off. Maybe greedy, but no more.

Reply to
David G. Bell

And I wonder how much Hollywood are paying for the audio/visual protection (I can't think of any other reason why Mickysoft would have gone to all that trouble to cripple machines)? I have a feeling that the Linux/Unix are just about to take a giant leap forward.....it could be the own-goal of the century. Some of the other stuff in the small print of the Vista licence is certainly making me think about just how much interference from Mickysoft is justifiable (if any).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

MS Windoze has always been a rip-off. But, if you shop around you can get Vista cheaper. I got the "Ultimate Edition" for

Reply to
Danny Clarke

Rob

You can buy that version [in OEM form] from AmazonUK for around £80, but I take the point - about right. It's about £15 cheaper in France so we're not much better off here really. Personally I don't see the point of upgrading as it doesn't seem to add any functionality that I'll use that I don't have already - especially as it'll probably run like a dog on my out-of-date 1 year old laptop! I'll just wait until I buy a new machine and happen to get it "free". If I could be bothered I'd wipe this machine and put Linux on, but there are so many versions around now I've got no idea which one to choose now-a-days, or why I'd choose one over the other - shame.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Strangely, the same happened when we upgraded to XP many moons ago. The scanner and the DVD burner were rendered defunct.

Reply to
Rich

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:dtrwh.214$% snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

According to Bill, Vista will give us the opportunity to use our computers like a telephone and exchange pictures electronically. He's never heard of Skype it seems. It's just another con to get money out of our pockets into his coffers ... a bit like Gordon Brown really. :-(

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Does anyone really want it anyway?

Dougal

Interesting reading, but it hasnt changed my decision. I havn't upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP yet, im certainly not going to upgrade to Vista.

BTW have you noticed that Windows 2000 still seems to be enjoying high levels of support from Microsoft, considering its obsolete? Could it be that a large number of corporate users havnt upgraded to XP either?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I certainly don't, and it looks like Pete Gutmann wants it even less. If any of you have are feeling bored then you should have a look at his homepage

EMB

That's exactly the reason. Between my various clients I look after around 700 machines running Win2K and there is no way I'll entertain an upgrade to XP due to it's lack of security and stability. Most of the other techs I know feel the same way - between the group of us who work together there are close to 4000 Win2K machines with no upgrade plans at present. Then again it could just be that I'm based in the backwards Antipodes (but I have a suspicion that this is a global phenomenon) ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Hehe. Deja-vu. Where's that old copy of Original Adventure for the PC? Or better still, where's my CP/M version?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:59:26 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

nor me. I reckon I'm going to stick with XP pro - also I reckon I'll produce a good supply of backup copies.

had minor hassle with getting SP2 for it; mickeysnot carefully avoid actually calling me a pirate but tell me that my registration code is non-legit (cor, wot a surprise) but with not much effort I found the complete SP2 download available elsewhere.

Mind you, not convinced it really needs SP2, as I use third-party AV and firewall software.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This makes interesting reading, if not exactly snappy....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Bugger.... you beat me to it!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:28:53 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I thought that XP and 2K were more or less the same under the hood anyway? ergo, not much reason to upgrade. I went straight from 98SE to XP pro SP1 for the good and simple reason that I acquired a copy of the latter. had I got hold of 2K I'd be using that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've got a laptop running Memory Map on Windows 2000, it's a P75 with

130 megs of RAM, and it's easily quick enough to be used with memory map provided that you don't close the waypoints properties window, I've got so many track logs and routes in there from multiple users that it takes 15 minutes to re-open ;-) Other than that, it's great and worthless in the event of being knicked or succumbing to the mud. 2000 is less demanding than XP, if you have to run Windows.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

:-D

LMAO