OT - Popups

Has anyone got any reccomendations of any good pop up stopper software.........

i am getting them everytime i surf now!!!

mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Get the Google toolbar - has a handy quick search and also kills pop-ups dead.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Seconded.

Reply to
David French

Try

Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

Use Mozilla instead of IE. That has a built in popup blocker, and also has the value added bonus of not being vunerable to any IE bugs that are out there. (No doubt it has some of its own, of course, but the script kiddies tend to only write stuff to exploit IE.)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Bugger me I've had that for ages and never realised it was on there typical I find out 10th behind the budgie

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

The latest version also has a built-in distributed computing client - how useful! :) I have it installed on all my machines, mainly for the search & popup features. AFAIK it's not particularly dreadful in terms of spyware.

But, has anybody noticed how lots of the commercial sites (holiday/hotel booking in particular) are managing to outwit Google's ranking system? It's definitely been less effective at some types of search over the last few months. Haven't found a better one yet though.

David

Reply to
David French

So does Opera, however I'm finding that it's not working with a fair few IE-specific CSS stuff these days.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:09:48 -0000, "Mark Solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

Mozilla in recent versions has it's own. BUT. to make everything work properly you'd have to go into the settings and allow ones from e.g. you bank or other people you actually *want* the pop-ups from.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check your machine for trojans - there are a lot of them about that can be installed due to security holes in some versions of IE. They often open popups as part of their normal operation and aren't always detected by anti virus software.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Can I add, that running adaware can be a good idea every now and then too...

It's free, and it's here:

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

And, of course, Spybot Search & Destroy,

David

Reply to
David French

I gather that Google changed the algorithms (whatever they are!) which run the search and this has resulted in a lot of net-reliant businesses and traders complaining that they no longer feature in results. The cynical are suggesting that this is a cunning ploy to force folk to use Googles "pay" service whereby one has to pay to achieve a high(er) ranking in results. I think they are probably right.

As to stopping pop-ups, echo most of what's been said - additionally, if you are upgrading your anti-virus and fire-wall then Norton's products seem to have an effective block as well. Works for me anyway.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley