OT: (saab) sump plug trouble

On or around Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:21:09 +0100, rads enlightened us thusly:

see other post - copper's different. Play with a piece is best. If you bend it backwards and forwards, it rapidly becomes stiffer (ooer) and then breaks.

however, anneal it, by heating it to bright red and quenching, and it becomes very soft.

and BTW, the modern collapsible washers can't be done like that, you need nice solid copper ones.

I've got into the habit of making me own, in fact. Cut 'em out of a spare piece of copper pipe, suitably opened up and flattened.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cheers Austin.

Why is nothing ever nice and simple?

Like I said ealier I've never done this, I just reuse the washers if they don't look too mangled. Next time I'll give this a go, maybe with a spare to hand in case it melts :-)

Reply to
Simon Barr