OT: tyre sizes

this ones got me fxed, and damned if the interweb is giving me the answers I need this am (prolly me though).

Looking at our Rice Horse trailer yesterday, and spotted that all the tyres are, shall we say in need of replacement?

So, a shufty at the side of the tyre gives me "6.7-15c 98/96L"

Measuring the tyre, the visible rim is 16" (so guessing a 1/2 inch bead would give a 15in tyre?)

The visible sidewall is 160mm, and the width across the tread is 120mm.

so, does that mean (if i am understanding tyre bits) that a 170/70R15 would fit? that being an extra 10mm to allow for the beading bit, 70 being

120/170 and 15 being the real rim diameter?

or has anyone else got a 1960's vintage Rice Beaufort and can tell me what tyres they've got on it?

cheers

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

For years Rice trailers had SWB LR rims with 600x16 tyres - it sounds like yours doesn't though! Are the wheels 5-stud?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Morning Richard,

yep they are a 5 stud with the studs being about 2.5 inches from centre. I've managed to find the tyre manufacturer now, Camac, a french firm, and the current tyres are listed as Truck tyres!!!!

600x16, now that fits in more with the image in my head, it being a 16in visible rim

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

These are what is on it now

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

On or around Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:09:55 +0100, "GrnOval" enlightened us thusly:

they're old-fashioned (and odd-sized) cross-plies.

175R15 or 165R15 commercial tyres, I'd think. You want commercial or trailer tyres to carry the weight, ordinary car tyres don't have the same weight capacity.

175/70 should also fit but will be smaller overall diameter, and will affect ground clearance if that's an issue, if not, then it'll be slightly more stable. same applies to 165/70R15. You still want commercial tyres though.

that 98/96L is a load rating. quite a lot of load.

Austin Shackles

Those look very much like SWB rims to me!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

the size you have is 6.70"x15 " 6 ply rating .

you will get tyres easily for that , similar tyres to that a mercedes

307d had fitted , or even a ford transit i think , youll probably find they are a very common size and fitted to most commercial vans like the merc sprinter ..

metric radial size will be around the 165-175x 15 area in probably a 75 tread profile .

you could probably get crossply tyres still for it but if only radials available then go for tallest profile for better ground clearance .

GrnOval wrote:

Reply to
m0bcg

Cheers all,

looks like my metric assessment wasn't too far off the mark, now to find some tyres ;-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

The ones on it are cross-plies, and are probably 92-100% profile, in other words the height of the tyre is 92 to 100% of the tyres "section width" (roughly its maximum width, not the tread width).

Radial tyres which are designated in mm, e.g. 155R13, are 80 or 82 % profile unless stated otherwise, e.g. 155/70R13.

You can get radial tyres with inch dimensions, which are about 100% profile, but it isn't easy to find them - I've been tearing my hair trying to find 6.50R16 tyres for some old Bentleys. I found that to get an equivalent height (and therefore overall diameter) to 6.50 tyres in common mm-designated tyres you have to go to 205/80 or (just about)

195/75. You've probably got 5" rims at most, and 205 tyres look daft on them. Yet another consideration is that your rims are almost certainly plain well-based ones, which you can fit tubeless cross-plies to, but not tubeless radials. And not all car and light-truck tyres are supposed to be OK with tubes - but try getting a sensible answer about this from anyone in a tyre company.

If you want to pursue inch sizes, Kumho, Bridgestone, Fulda, Firestone, Hankook, Falken and Goodyear are respectable brands who list 6.50R16, as do Westlake, Goodride, JinTong, Sava, Wanli, and GT Radial. No idea if they do 15", and expect blank looks at most tyre dealers when you ask about them.

Reply to
Autolycus

700x15 cross plies should do the job just fine (and should be readily available).
Reply to
EMB

have you tried vintage tyres at the motor museum at Beaulieu (sp?) They have a very helkpful spreadsheet you can download with all the prices

Si

Reply to
GrnOval