OT : Wifi finder for Windows XP.

Peter wrote: am using WPA authentication with

Its much more secure than WEP, but its only as strong as your preshared key ! If you are using a passWORD, change it to a passPHRASE make sure it is full of little words and unguessable.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

WPA-PSK is only secure if you are using a passphrase of 20 characters or more due to a weakness in the algorith used to generate keys from the passphrase. (random google quote follows);

-------------------- In November 2003, Robert Moskowitz, a senior technical director at ICSA Labs (part of TruSecure) released "Weakness in Passphrase Choice in WPA Interface". In this paper, Moskowitz described a straightforward formula that would reveal the passphrase by performing a dictionary attack against WPA-PSK networks. This weakness is based on the fact that the pairwise master key (PMK) is derived from the combination of the passphrase, SSID, length of the SSID and nonces. The concatenated string of this information is hashed 4,096 times to generate a 256-bit value and combine with nonce values. The information required to create and verify the session key is broadcast with normal traffic and is readily obtainable; the challenge then becomes the reconstruction of the original values. Moskowitz explains that the pairwise transient key (PTK) is a keyed-HMAC function based on the PMK; by capturing the four-way authentication handshake, the attacker has the data required to subject the passphrase to a dictionary attack. According to Moskowitz, "a key generated from a passphrase of less than about 20 characters is unlikely to deter attacks."

--------------------

Notice the references to "nonce values", just shows you how jargon doesn't travel ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

.. and at least 20 characters long otherwise WPA weaknesses make it much easier to guess the password than it ought to be.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed , just deserts for all those eggsplosions.

I hope it makes his Beef Stew

...I've not a friggin clue what I'm on about.... no change there then :-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Last month a bloke was fined =A3500 for using some one else's wifi without permission, the authorities are starting to clamp down on what is clearly theft, especially if you pay by the amount of data transfer as I do. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Plugging into the cable and taking electricity is still illegal.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Why dontcha ask someone who works for Microsoft?

I'll help you out here - that is unless you contributed to the rants against me in this fine, upstanding newsgroup

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net xxx@Microsoft xxx@sbcglobal

Reply to
Wonder Falls

Wonder Falls uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Reply to
Lee_D

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Tom

As you are aware from my text, I've got a card now, a pretec one. It seems happy enough so far, also seems to whomp through the battery on my pda so use will be limited to when the power is on such are the joys of total power loss on the mio 168. Anyway I tried to run ministumbler (which is happy enough on my laptop) on the pda and it doesn't recognise the WIFI card. I've done some trawling and found wififofum which appears to be just the job. The PRETEC card comes with drivers (I think) for the later OS you are running. Once we're back from the "HOLS" you're welcome to give it a trial on your PDA. Certainly blown my frock up ;-) wififofum has a radar type feature - very trick and just the job with the onboad GPS for pining down those free (legit)connections. Of which the Roebuck in Station road is one...just incase you happen to fall off a train and need urgent email assistance:-)

Wififofum is currently showing my set up along with three "sky" prefixed setups which I assume are sky boxes (states the obvious!). The PDA seems far more sensitive than my laptop in this respect which is running Netstumbler. wififofum seems ideal for touring france if only to pin down legit open free connections (I need to practice my french for "Open free connection please use me"). We can then crack open the laptop and whoop it out so to speak :-). I know of at least three free sites at our main holiday destination so prepare for death by holiday snaps - be warned may involve sunshine to get the factor 50 ready for viewing ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

We can then crack open the laptop and whoop it out so to speak

better let us know what email a/c you will be using on the travels just in case a really cheap 101 comes up or similar (lol) you could even set up a silly one sort of DrDgonefroggy_at_hotmail,com stylee. Derek

Reply to
Derek