OT: wireless network

Hi all, Totally off topic but here goes.... I have a Linksys wireless router on the main pc, a Linksys usb receiver in the downstairs pc and a Linksys wireless thingy plugged in the laptop. All the pc's worked fine being able to access the internet via the cable modem. But all of a sudden the downstairs and the laptop cant find the network. The upstairs one is fine as it is hard wired. Can the router pack up wirelessly and still work wired ? I cant see the downstairs and the laptop wireless bits packing up at the same time? Is there anyway of checking if the the router is sending and receiving as it should (all the lights on the front are behaving normally). Thanks Richard V8 90 V8 Discovery

Richard

Hi Richard, the two most obvious things that spring initially to mind:-

1) Have you power cycled the router (by pulling the plug for at least 30 seconds). 2) Is there a microwave oven in use in your house or your neighbour at the time of the problem? This is the most common cause of Wifi issues, they use the same frequency range.

Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Smith

You can definitely have the wlan pack up, often for no obvious reason. Power-cycling is the first port of call as already said. You should, if that fails, be able to get a config screen via the wired PC and check that the network ID and settings are all intact - it's possible it has 'forgotten' them.

If you right click the network icon in the systray and select "View Available Wireless Networks" does it show any signal? Does moving into the same room as the router help?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Richard,

I'm using netgear equipment so don't know about linksys. You try downloading and installing netstumbler (free) from

and see if it can see anynetworks. I have the problem where my card in the laptop forgets itsSSID and I have to re-enter it to get it working. You could try asking this question in news://alt.internet.wireless

Regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2

Also check for video senders as mine wipes out the wireless downstairs. most are left on all the time and unless you have a receiver you won't know that next door has one. If they do then you can watch what they are watching.

Tony,

Reply to
Tony Bartels

I'm showing my age - what's a video sender?

Reply to
Dougal