Heated Front Screen on a 90

Hello

On my 1990 90 it has a heated front screen. This was fitted to the vehicle after the normal one was broken and the non heated was out of stock.

There is no wiring for it, so it does not work! Does the screen need to be removed to gain access to wire it in? Is it just a new feed from the fuse box, via a switch on the dash, and of to the screen?

Mark.

1990 90
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Screen has 3 connections, one at either end and a common terminal in the centre, all at the bottom, easily accessible when the upper trim of the dash is removed. Connect them as either a power feed to each end and earth the centre, or earth the 2 ends and power to the centre, either way works fine. Must be a relay in the circuit, it draws a fair current, I used an illuminated switch from a breakers yard and a separate heavy-duty power feed from an auxilliary fusee box that I have fitted, and a 40A relay. Works great! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

It's also worth looking at

Best wishes Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates

Anyone know if these will kill GPS signals? I know they do in other cars (Citroens are particularly crap for this) and i have heard the new RR is poor too?

..just incase I ever need a new screen!

jon

Reply to
Jon

Not completely but enough to need a different aerial.

Citroens don't have heated screens, they have that blue coating thing that has much the same effect on GPS signals.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

John Greystrong uttered summat worrerz funny about:

On my laptop with GPS mouse the signal was very poor on an aftermarket heated windscreen on a RRC. Same on a Disco with factory fit windscreen.

Using a Mio with built in GPS it was fine.

Depends on kit ultimately.

Both sets of kit were the cheap end of the market.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Jon writes

You have two problems with GPS and Defender screens

1: the heated element does effect the signal quite badly. 2: The screen is near vertical and gives a limited view of the sky.

Put these two together and you get intermittent reception.

My new 110 CSW XS is awful for GPS reception and my "off road" 90 is just as bad due to the shadow caused by the external roll cage.

Both have been cured by using external GPS antennas.

Reply to
Marc Draper