OT Wonders of wireless

You are not a lawyer and I claim my free mars bar ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

True, but ask anyone who works in a company why they shouldn't reveal their password to anyone else.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Err, that's obvious, but "proving intent" doesn't require someone to "log on", and neither does "logging on" prove intent. IT law is a complicated mess, as is most law, simple answers are thin on the ground.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I can see this as being of concern to an isp. You could get a adsl/cable service and share it with a few neighbours.

Yes two issues, the first is allowing someone access to the internet and them abusing it, with you getting the blame. Isn't there a way of blocking some ports?

The second is far worse but how should allowing access to the internet risk access to my lan? I have 3 computers sharing this internet connection via a router and cables but they are not on a network and don't share files.

So to do this I'd need something more than a standard wireless router? Something more like a standalone linux box acting as the gateway to the adsl connection?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

If your wireless access point is on your internal LAN then anyone connecting to the access point will also be on your internal LAN. If your wireless access point is also your ADSL modem (quite common now) then that also will allow access to your internal LAN.

Yes, you set up a firewall which is connected to the internet using an ADSL card, connected to your internal lan using another interface, and connected to the wireless router on a third. If you have an ADSL router, then you'd connect the wireless access point and the firewall directly to it, then connect your internal LAN to the second interface on your firewall. Obviously all this with appropriate rules installed on the firewall.

To be honest if you don't understand all this stuff already then I'd advise you to steer clear of remotely accessible access points available to all.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nuff said, I'll leave the idea until I know a bit more.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

|| I think it was "Bigshot" || || Stuart

You're right. The song with more quotes per inch than any other.

Normally, I pack a rod. In pyjamas I carry nothing but scars from Normandy beach. She had the hottest lips since Hiroshima, I had to stand back for fear of being burned... She was dressed as Biffo The Bear. In that kind of outfit, she could get rolled at night - and I don't mean on a crap table.

That song made me spend about a year in my teens reading Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Oops, checked the LP, yes, Bigshot. Same LP, so many classics on || that one. || || Karen

I bought the 4 CD set a couple of years ago. I'd lost/lent/had stolen/got marmalade on all of my Bonzo LPs, so I went for it. Unlike most of the "old" CDs I have bought in the last 10 years to recapture the record collection of my youth, this one didn't disappoint in the slightest.

And my 22-year-old daughter thinks the Bonzos are really good. We quote them at each other, still. That and Molesworth, ect ect.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:06:00 +0100, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

yeah but your neigbours have seen what you get up to, and think they might get the same treatment as gas bottles and fire extinguishers if they hack.......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Yes I know, which is why I said that if I had to rely on one method, I'd go for encryption, it's the strongest layer and hardest to beat. For those who don't really have much to protect, it's probably not worth buggering around, and WPA is easy to set up and is the most effective protection commonly available.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nothing to hack - I leave that wifi open for people to use if they want to, or need to... May put a slightly higher power outside twig to broaden the coverage actually. Also thinking about offering a trial of WIMAX too at some point.

Reply to
Mother

Ah yes, MArmalade. I always preferred to The Jam

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

On or around Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:16:47 +0100, Simon Isaacs enlightened us thusly:

not to mention what he does to mobile phones. I loved that video, especially the fight the phone put up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The hammer got it, though.

Reply to
Mother

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I could never work out that line - thanks!!

And for your bonus question, give two other "Beano" references on that album

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| She was dressed as Biffo The Bear. In that kind of outfit, she ||| could get || ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ || I could never work out that line - thanks!!

:-) For years I thought it was "she was dressed as before the bed" (ie ready to turn in) - a mate said it and it stuck and I couldn't hear anything else in that line. Then one day I heard it again and 'snap'.

|| And for your bonus question, give two other "Beano" references on || that album

  1. Lord Snooty and his pals tap-dancing (The Intro and the Outro)
  2. Dunno. Put me out of my misery.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

In article , Richard Brookman writes

Chandler* and Pratchett:

Forget the actual disks on the desert island, I probably wouldn't survive, but I'd die grinning...

Regards,

Simonm.

*but he was seriously into 'recycling' though, which is a bit of a disappointment when you get dug in.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Corect for half a point

... through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant electric poisoned head, so theeeeeeeere."

(last line of My Pink Half of the Drainpipe)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Srtgray wrote: ||| ||||| Richard Brookman wrote: |||||| She was dressed as Biffo The Bear. In that kind of outfit, she |||||| could get ||||| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ||||| I could never work out that line - thanks!! ||| ||| :-) For years I thought it was "she was dressed as before the bed" ||| (ie ready to turn in) - a mate said it and it stuck and I couldn't ||| hear anything else in that line. Then one day I heard it again and ||| 'snap'. ||| ||||| And for your bonus question, give two other "Beano" references on ||||| that album ||| ||| 1. Lord Snooty and his pals tap-dancing (The Intro and the Outro) || || Corect for half a point ||| 2. Dunno. Put me out of my misery. || || ... through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant electric poisoned || head, so theeeeeeeere." || || (last line of My Pink Half of the Drainpipe)

That's not really fair - Lord Snooty twice! I was looking for Dennis the Menace or Roger The Dodger references. And it's "giant poisoned electric head" -

So theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman