OT: You gotta laugh!!

Especially as I have just lost my second door mirror in two days ffs.

Read the story!

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Priceless!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:11:32 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

FFS. You'd think they could get someone out of a car without taking the fecking roof off. I hope the owner got compensation...

make a nice X-type convertible project, mind. half the work's done already :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:11:32 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

d'you reckon this is the same one?

Austin Shackles

's a proper cop car ripped up!!!

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

There could be a nice business opportunity here, you can see the advert;

"Any make or model of car converted to a cabriolet while you wait"

Love it..............................................

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

Nope.

Seems the fire brigade have a habit of cutting up new cars!

Reply to
SimonJ

I was first on the scene of a rollover on the M1 about a year ago and put the driver in the back of my car. The paramedic put a neck brace on him whilst he waited for the ambulance and said that if they diagnosed a back or neck injury they'd pull the roof off my Volvo.

I thought he was joking at the time - apparently not!! Lesson learnt!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Oooh - I remember......

1983 - I was a young copper in Ye Olde London town. I came across a mild RTA just off the Marylebone Road so I called ambulance and the Fire Brigade (now, like the Police Force they are a 'service').

So there we are, a couple of folks with whiplash, two cars with a few dents. Enter 'bash and splash' who proceed to go by their textbook 'in all RTAs cut battery wires' and proceed to lever open the bonnets of both cars and cut the wires.

Fair enough - if we had overturned vehicles, petrol spilled etc etc.

The bit that really amused me was fire-fighter #1 trying to crowbar open the brand new Ford Fiesta bonnet. After loads of damage to the front I pointed out that the bloody bonnet hinged at the front end and, if he really, really wanted to get at the engine bay maybe he should (a) pry at the back end of the bonnet or (b) open the driver's door and pop the bonnet using the bonnet catch - after all the car only had a rear end dent.

His response?

"You do my job mate and I'll do mine"

Then proceeded to mangle rear end of bonnet - meanwhile owner of said bonnet is totally doing his pieces

Graeme

p.s. OK so it's a one -off 23 years ago but, at the time, it was amusing (unless you owned either car)

Graeme

Maybe I'm simple, but how did cutting the roof off help in the police car situation? I mean, there's still doors and what have you on it - did they lift the seat clean out the roof? If people are manually heaving the car seat out then I don't see how that's going to be much better than removing them in some other less destructive way. Especially seeing as how it would appear that these people managed to get into the cars under their own steam.

The long and the short of it is that people are not going to be so keen to stop and help in the first few minutes of any incidents so the chances of fatalities at RTAs are more likely to increase and we're going to be stuck with slightly dazed people wandering around our motorways.

Mind you, not likely to affect me, (or any other LR drivers) if they managed to get into the 110 then chances are they're not too badly affected. Maybe it's safer just offering people to sit on the rock sliders.....

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

If they came towards my Disco with their 'jaws of death' I think I would grab the invalid by the legs and drag him out onto the road!!

Barleycorn

Reply to
Barleycorn

the glass or the whole unit? Derek

Reply to
Derek

And its probably easier to unbolt the roof of a landrover rather than cut it off.

But i am with you on this one willie, i can't imagine how it would be easier or safer to pull a person out of a freshly cut (remember all those jagged bits of metal that will now be poking out) roof rather than out the door. I'm sure there must be some intelligent reason.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Ones just the glass, but the others probably useless as some of the mechanism has gone ffs.

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Trumpton car conversions?

Reply to
GbH

Sorry guys, but an unstable fracture of the cervical vertebrae can result in total paralysis if the victim is moved wrongly even by a quarter of an inch. Fractures are sometimes stabilised by muscle spasm in the first instance and there are many tales of folks moving around for a while until their head effectively falls off. My favourite is one I saw with my own eyes and have the x-rays in my collection. A young lady rode her horse under a tree branch in Hampshire and got knocked off. After a short period of recovery she gave the horse back and drove home to Suffolk. She then attended A&E ( or ED if I'm being PC now ) hwre it was discovered that she had this amazing fracture of the top of her neck. There was nothing holding her neck together and one false move would have paralysed her. Funny thing was, she didn't believe the doctors until one told her to discharge herself and he would follow her because he'd have a bet on how far she would get!

Another x-ray I have shows a motorcyclist with a clear gap between his neck and head. He died.

Similar fractures lower in the spine can result in lower limb paralysis on the same basis. Road accidents carry a very high degree of violence, matched only by explosions and falls from a great height. By taking the roof off one would assume enough room is created for the paramedics to get the spinal boards in, rather than the need to get the casualty out, but that's just a guess.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

About ten years ago, my younger brother got ran off his motorbike by a woman in a vauxhall cavalier. I was about 200yds behind him in my car and saw the whole thing. He was riding round a right hand bend and the car, coming in the opposite direction, missed the bend and went straight into his path. He had the presence of mind to ditch the bike, which went under the car, and he bounced off the nearside front wing. His head hit the tarmac and his helmet came off. I pulled my car up across the road to protect him. He was lying on his back, unconscious. The only other witness was a police officer who was in a patrol vehicle behind my car. He went to check on my brother, after radioing for an ambulance etc. He tried to put a jumper behind his head, I stopped him and reminded him that he was breathing, there was no sign of major blood loss and unecessary movement may paralyse him. The ambulance arrived about 5-10 mins later. The ambulance guys started talking to my brother as he lapsed in and out of consciousness. Then, to my complete amazement, they pulled him to his feet and walked him to the ambulance!!!! He was acting as if he was drunk and had no idea what had happened. At the hospital I complained about this because it went against everything I had ever learnt as a first aider. Of course nothing ever came of it. My brother made a full recovery after surgery to stop internal bleeding. Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

Yep - a quick roof removal (I'm an ex-firefighter and have done my fair share of them) makes getting a spinal board in very easy. For the extra

10 minutes it takes to do it's not worth the risk of moving a patient with suspected spinal injuries unless there is some other factor that endangers them even more by waiting.
Reply to
EMB

When I were a lad I worked in a saw mill and wood yard during weekends and holidays. The workshop lads all joined the fire brigade as part-timers and regularly used to get treated like shit by the full-timers. The lads also said that during a fire they were shocked to find that the full-timers were taking small valuable items from people's houses and claiming they were "fire-damaged", they reckoned that this happened quite a lot. Not sure what station they were in, I suspect in the Romsey area and it was when I was 13-15 years old.

Hopefully that's an occasional nest of bad eggs rather than common practice!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Then, to my complete

You were right to complain Stew. Those bozos could easily have cost your brother his life. That's not to say it doesn't still happen but the paramedics are better now than they were ten years ago. I have a case ongoing though, where the paramedics did the right thing but the hospital doctor tried to discharge the patient. The fracture on the x-ray was spotted by a relative (!) who made such a fuss that a CT scan was performed confirming the fractures. A complaint has been lodged but litigation is unlikely because the patient actually suffered no further harm, but what a lash up. The relative, it should be said, had recently finished a paramedical type course thank goodness! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB