Derbyshire Dales - Green lane trip

Well finally got to take Morph off road, didn't quite do as much as hoped but did managed to

a) scare myself to the point of forgetting to breath b) get stuck (diff lock failed to perform when required - not that I need an excuse! ;-) ) c) take a few piccys. (

) Big thanks to Tim, RRB ( Both loiterers in the Mud Club Forum) and Chris (as in
) for pointing us down the lanes that Morph would fit, We did Stanage Edge. Sceneary was wonderful and in the main walkers were very friendly and inquisitive as to what the trucks were and what we would do if other Landies came the other way up Stanage "We'd stick the kettle on!" was the reply. Be rude not to ;-)

Just need to fix; Diff lock - and replace the bulb which also blew, replace a relay which a terminal snapped off :-( Fix fuel level sensor (suspect dodgie connector on the tank) Eberscpacher developed a mind of it's own, cold fan comes on when it likes and heater failed to heat, h'mmm

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Looks good did you stop for a bite to eat then

no nearer buying a landy btw - we were offroad in the scooby today but not very far time will tell.Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

LOL!

We had a pic nic which the kids enjoyed (read "me") and had a liesurely mooch on the way back due to an early finish following a break down of one of the groups Rangies. Rest stopped off at a pub for some grub but given my fan was sticking on when it wanted too I didn't fancey a flat battery too.

Your search for a Landie is getting like a star trek mission ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

My LSE is still on ebay after some serious nutballs wrecked my last auction.

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Glad it went well, you chose a nice day for it! At the start of the week i was thinking of coming with you in the 2A like you suggested but then I got invited out to the pub and (correctly as it turned out) figured that i wouldnt be in a fit state for much today :)

How did you manage to scare yourself?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Wheels at opposite ends doing opposite things on the edge of the world... probably think nowt of it in a normal ground hugging car but when your leaning over so far you can see what you will land on and it carrys on coming closer it kind of took my breath away.... then it came back and about ten seconds later I regained control of other bodily functions :-D

Been a while since I experienced fear like that. Still on the bright side I was already in an Ambulance :-D

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

whoops, sent it before I'd typed it ;-)

There are some really baffled peeps up there :-) A couple come past us who I thought may have been the first Anti's of the day, they went on to Chat to Chris for a good 5 minutes about his Africa trip then and were most pleasant in deed.

As for the rock, how long is it since you went? I think it has had children who are now fully grown.

If I hadn't seen Chris go down in front (and not roll over!) I'd had reversed all the way back. There were quite a few peeps who just sat down to have there snapping and were quite openly watching in disbelief. I may need a councilor for the rest of the family too ;-) at least now they know why I was insitant in fitting forward facing seats with seatbelts in the back.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Thanks for the offer mate but I'm looking for economy current front runner is a Disco mpi /tdi or a dual fueller.Its mainly for sporting transport good as the Legacy is when the grass gets high ( middle of the Wood pigeon season) I can't get close to set up hides and decoys without fear of popping the radiator on shrubbery (ni ) plus we need a boat tow / launch vehicle . Derek (no landy yet curse you ebay)

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

DON'T get an MPi, after a V8 it's akin to an 850 mini. But on the bright side if you do then you should get one cheap. I'd go Tdi personally. LPG if you want a V8 but if it's all round economy then you need a Camo'd 101 on LPG, instant hide... emergency Pigeon hatch and you'd need one muther of a bush to muffle your rad.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I could live with an Mpi remember I peddle a Merc Atego round 5 days a week loaded its like a very big SII ( only quieter) I could say what else I was looking at but then I would have to kill folk to avoid being outbid Derek

Reply to
Derek

...and Derek spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Mpi - similar economy to a V8, similar power to a Tdi. Plus it's an engine more suited to a road car, revvy and without much torque, so not much good off-road, OSIH. They make no sense in the UK apart from a low buying price - their intended market was abroad (Italy?) where the vehicle taxation regime made selling the V8s uneconomic. Go the extra and get a Tdi.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It was propsed UK Company Car regulations that prompted the Mpi. They never were introduced. The engine did end up in some Italian Poilice 90's as well.

The worst thing about Mpi's is the non-avaiability, and price, of some spares.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"Lee_D" wrote

Yes I suppose it must be nearer 10 yrs since I've been on Stanage Edge, there was one big rock that you had to go round right on the 'Edge' and the Mrs got out and walked while I went past it and said something like " You can't see down here from your side, sod that", not quite tarmac though the rest of it, is it? . Good fun. Time for another trip I think.

I think crash helmets would be alright for passengers as well on there ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

There is the rub if you look at the stats for mpg and performance the mpi looks a decent prospect ( 134 bhp 0-60 15.3s as against TDi 111bhp 0-60

17.2s ). Like everything else it doesnt tell the full story the fuel economy certainly favours the TDi and as said the MPi isn't a lot different to the V8 of course if you add in a gas conversion the MPi looks better than the TDi .Extreme offroad performance hence torque isn't much of a issue to me as most of my O-R mileage is down muddy farm tracks sometimes the gound clearance is a problem with the Legacy (just one or two spring to mind- see earlier post) but I have been offroading long enough to know when to quit .At the end of the day I may go back to a Rangie the big downside is lifting a knackered very very muddy gundog into the back at the end of a long days shooting side opening doors are a major consideration - really I have all the time in the world (and a favorite song too ) as the scooby is good for another year ( changed a blown bulb before mot) so I will wait until the right motor turns up or go nuts and have a series as a muddy motor. Derek
Reply to
Derek

On or around Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:16:39 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

MPi disco is a sucker bet, TBH. motor doesn't suit it and it's rather underpowered. The motor isn't bad if you rev the nuts off it, but even with dual fuel, you won't see impressive economy.

3.9 V8 on gas if you can run mostly on gas, or TDi are your best bet for economy, although none of them are really what you call economical. 300TDi disco here is getting about 32 mpg on average use.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:43:04 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

except that an 850 mini is fun. MPi discos aren't easy to find, anyway. AIUI it was intended for the european countries that have large tax breaks for sub-2-litre vehicles.

Reply to
Austin Shackles