OTish - old electric ignition module wiring colour

From the depths of dads shed i have retrieved an old semi-electric ignition box. Not full electric igition but one of the things that just goes between the points and coil and takes the strain off the points.

I want to fit it to my car which is eating points up.

Does anybody know what the wiring colours are likely to be?

Ive got red, black, green and blue.

Red is assumedly ign live and black is gnd. Of the other 2 im assuming one goes to the coil and one to the dissy - replacing the existing wire. Does it matter which is which? and if so any idea?

The box most lilkely dates from the 80's. is red and has a 'max blast' sticker on the side. Has a makers name on top but we cant make it out other than it ends in 'limited'. Is 'made in england' too!

Reply to
Tom Woods

One (common one) from that era was made by Piranha IIRC. (if that's any use)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

have googled and found some old piranha instructions but the wire colours are completely different on that. Doesnt look like any of the piccys i can find of that either. Thanks though! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Try Sparkrite

I know rev counter green usually comes from the coil neg so that would be my first wild guess as a stab in the dark.

As it's an Amplifier it's unlikely to frazzle anything.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

colours appear wrong for them too, though it amost looks like one!:

it doesnt have clamps on the back and the top is ribbed (like a v8 rocker cover)

yeah, green on the coil would be my first guess as there is a green wire there already in my car :) spose it'll only frazzle itself and then i wont be any worse off!

Reply to
Tom Woods

May be worth trying the MG guys. Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

If you haven't got it sorted by now, and you discover it's a Sparkrite unit, I may still have the installation instructions for it tucked away.

I picked one up for a quid at a car boot sale many, many years ago, and fitted it to my 1984, 90. It prolonged the life of the points dramatically!

Neil

Neil

i concluded it was shagged and am now running a maplins kit module which is doing the job nicely :)

Reply to
Tom Woods