Overdrive TD5

I've just acquired a TD5 crew cab with an overdrive (lucky me ;-). Does anyone know where to get a manual for these?

Sometime it won't change into overdrive - the light on the gearknob flashes about 10 times. Other times it changes without problem. i have the impression that it is something to do with the temp of the oil. For the first 10 miles or so it will never change, then after 10-20 miles it will change at 70+mph, after 20-50 miles it'll change at 60 mph and later still change eaqsily at 50mph.

Anyone know how these things are supposed to work?

Ta in advance

Reply to
John Stolz

John, Its a GKN Over Drive and the fault is the speed sensor, I have just replaced mine exactly the same fault.

They cost about =A370 and it takes about 10 minutes to swap. If you need any help contact GKN Drivelines (0)121 313 1661

I Hope this helps, I have an installation manual but not a fault diagnosis manual

Reply to
Duncan

For future reference, if you have any problems concerning the LED Light on your Overdrive, it is usually one of two things.

If you are finding that the LED flashes continuously , this is a short circuit and the solenoid needs to be changed.

If you find that it flashes for over 5 seconds, but then stays on this is the Speed Sensor, that needs to be changed.

Reply to
DUNCAN PARKES

Thanks for that Duncan, I'm holding at GKN now, hopefully they can send me a new part. Should I be surprised that this has failed after only 50K miles?

Reply to
John Stolz

John, Mine failed at 51k miles so sounds about the same. I have only had the car 1 month and I am delighted with the overdrive, if the sensor lasts another 50k miles I will be happy.

It doesn't sound like a faulty conection but would be worth checking out. There are 2 sensors one Pre 2001 and one Post 2001 make sure you get the right one.

Send me an email and I will send you the >> John Stolz wrote:

Reply to
DUNCAN PARKES