craddock black modulars

Anybody got some? I am thinking of getting some new wheels with some extra offset for the

109. I would like the normal tyres to line up with the edge of the bodywork. Craddocks say that they have a 'positive 8' offset but I'mnot sure what that means :)

TIA

Reply to
mark

Hi Mark - the positive offeset means that they stick out more than the original rims - they help to fill the wheelarches. Would look good on the 109!

Positive 8 - 8mm?

Reply to
Landylover

Positive means that the tyre centreline is inboard of the wheel mounting face on the hub. I imagine, as you suggest, that 8 will be 8mm.

Get your existing wheel and put a straight edge across the inside extremity of the tyre wall (the edge of the rim would do equally well but is not so easy to reach). Measure from the face of the rim that contacts the hub to the straight edge - distance A.

Put the straight edge across the outer extremity of the tyre wall and measure (from the same relative side of the straight edge as used before) through the hole in the centre of the rim to the face of the rim that contacts the hub - distance B.

Subtract B from A and multiply by one half i.e. 0.5(A-B). This is likely to be a postive number with the meaning defined above. For the original Disco steel rim it's about 33mm and positive.

Assuming that your rim also gives a positive value of 33mm for the

0.5(A-B) distance, then fitting the 8mm positive rim means that the (same) tyre on the modular rim will be 25mm (33 minus 8) further out than it is on your existing rim.

I wanted to do an ASCII picture to explain this but couldn't get the horizontal registration correct. Sorry.

Reply to
Dougal

Meanwhile... I found this:

So I think I understand it now. Just got to measure my old 109" 7.5 x

16 rims in the morning.

Thanks.

Reply to
mark

OK lets see if I've got this right...

Landrover tyre bulges out say 25mm from rim. Existing rims are 65mm inboard of bodywork tyres are 40mm inboard I want my tyres to be flush with the body work. So I need my new rims to be 40mm further out than the existing rims

Existing rims have 178mm rim width Centreline is 89mm backspace is 125mm offset is backspace less centreline offset is 36mm positive

so moving the tyre 40mm will reduce my positive offset and give me 4mm negative offset.

Craddocks modulars are 8mm positive. I assume I will be left with tyres 12mm inboard of bodywork

Did I get this right? Maybe its sensible to have them 12mm inboard :)

Reply to
mark