S3 Overdrive

After a full weekend of being deafened at 60mph I wonder about an overdrive for the S3 88"

How do they work? Do they attach to the PTO & you need a different propshaft or something? Are they electrically operated or manually operated?

Anyone know how they actually work?

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

I wonder about an overdrive for the S3 88"

Effectively a two-speed gearbox inserted between main gearbox output and transfer box input.

Fits in the PTO hole

No

Manual

Study the picture linked above and

David

Reply to
Dougal

Ta matey, are they acually any good ?

What sort of money are we talking for a good used one? How long to fit etc?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:54:04 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

the Series overdrive gave about half a gear and could be used on third and top.

dunno about prices etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

£250 seems to be a bench mark. I sold mine for that much having refused several supposedly polite offers. Seen several advertised at the same price since.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They can actually be used in all gears but you need to be careful not to use full torque in first and second. 16F, 4R does make a talking point!

Usefulness - I've had 2.25 petrol Series II and V8 RRC - I'd use one again but only to reduce engine revs and keep the noise down. Don't think of it as a fuel economy device.

Prices, I also don't know.

Reply to
Dougal

Friend paid about £300 approx 10 years ago for a secondhand one that Warwick 4x4 then fitted along with a recon gearbox to his 110.

His comments about the 'box and fitting can't be repeated.

The overdrive gave, as observed by others, an extra half a gear. But he was advised to use it in only 3rd and 4th to avoid the risk of stripping the nylon gear. Also it was totally useless on motorway hills and only reduced the fuel consumption from 14 to 16 mpg. In conclusion; he would be happy if the vehicle came with one fitted but wouldn't (waste) his money on fitting one.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

There were no nylon gears in the old Mayflower/Superwinch unit and I'd be extremely surprised if there was a nylon gear in any other unit either.

Dougal

New ones run to several thousand dollars - manufactured by Rovers Down South in New Orleans

who also sell all parts. Relatively easy to fit - with no problems(!), and someone who has done it before, probably an hour or two, first time, perhaps three or four. As the transmission tunnel has to come out to fit the lever, depends a lot on the state of your floor securing bolts!

Principal problem seems to be wear on the drive dog that replaces the gear on the back of the gearbox main shaft, and the overdrive input shaft where this engages with it.

If buying second hand make sure you get this drive dog and the linkage. They are rarely available second hand separately, and are quite expensive new. JD

Reply to
JD

Ive seen a couple bought and sold for £250 in the last 6 months or so.

I got mine by buying a complete (slightly knackered) landy with one on. Cost me £250 total, so i in effect got the rest of the car for free :) (and it was a worthwhile investment as i needed the gearbox too in the end)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I was only repeating what he told me he was told, if you see what I mean!

Richard ;-)

Reply to
Richard

I really appreciate having mine!. It makes it much quieter to cruse and gives me some nice extra speed. I use it a lot. The extra gearing is good when going up hills. and also when moving really heavy stuff as you can step more gradually through the whole gearbox.

Does your landy already have FWH's too?. I'd also say they make a good improvement for cruising and are cheaper.

I left mine attached to the gearbox it came on, but my mate fitted his in an afternoon.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'd be happy with an extra 14% fuel economy. Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor