P38 Diesel Auto Gearbox dipstick

On my 1998/99 P38 Diesel (BMW engine) the auto gearbox has a long dipstick/filler tube which is fixed at the top with a bracket to the engine block. That bracket has fractured so the dipstick tube was waving about until I tied it to the remains of the bracket. Welding would be a possibility, but not in situ and I am told by my LR main dealer that removing the tube risks breaking it at the bottom. Problem: a replacement dipstick tube seems to be unobtainable -- two attempts to order from LR over the past two months have met with the response "unavailable." Does anyone know where I can get one? I believe the part number is LFTC3899.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

On or around Sun, 6 Aug 2006 18:27:33 +0100, "Stephen Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

quick dab with a mig welder on low setting should do it, and not compromise anything else if done carefully.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Or if thats a problem then how about you make a new bracket, bend it "L" shape stylie and fasten it on with a jubilee clip which you can carefully unscrew.... bend around dip stick tube and screw up again clamping said bracket.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Or even my perennial favourite, the cable tie. Or the farmers friend, baler twine.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Mon, 7 Aug 2006 13:38:41 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

should be al right for that - but don't use it long-term in the light, it goes brittle and falls apart. that's the plastic stuff. old-fashioned sisal just rots.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks for the several suggestions. I think I'll go for a fat cable tie and see how it works out. Thank you all again.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson