p38 wont start

1997 2.5DSE wont start anymore. Used to take a couple of cranks before it would start.Sent to Land Rover for repairs and they said to replace glow plugs. After replacing them, it still wont start. It only started once after replacement. Car has been sitting in garage for 2weeks now.Can anyone help? Could it be the fuel pump?
Reply to
StrangeRover
1997 2.5DSE wont start anymore. Used to take a couple of cranks before it would start.Sent to Land Rover for repairs and they said to replace glow plugs. After replacing them, it still wont start. It only started once after replacement. Car has been sitting in garage for 2weeks now.Can anyone help? Could it be the fuel pump?

Thanks Spencer

Reply to
StrangeRover

I had this, get someone to stand by the ignition, lift the bonnet and shine a torch from underneath the fuel pipe which comes from the filter to the injection pump, get your friend just to turn on the ignition and see if the fuel is pumped through, you might have lots of air bubbles, try it a couple of times and if fuel is pumping then the glow plug circuit seems to be working, do this when cold. If no fuel coming, suspect pump.

I still have air in my system and will be chaning the leak back pipes this week.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Crowder

Tested the line...cant see any air bubbles. Checked the compression and its down. was thinking of changing the fuel pump but that might not be the problem.Could it be because of the compression that the engine wouldnt start?

Reply to
StrangeRover

Absolutely. What compression figures were you getting? And with what sort of compression tester?

Reply to
EMB

Land Rover did the test and said its only around 10. Suppose to be running around 18 i think.

Reply to
StrangeRover

In units of what (that's strange sounding figures to me)? It might be worth checking it's cranking speed - if it's slow it'll be reluctant to start and give a low reading on a compressiion test.

Reply to
EMB

On 19 Apr 2006 08:11:28 -0700, "StrangeRover" scribbled the following nonsense:

Thing is with compression figures, it helps to do a dry test first off, then squirt some oil down the bores, and do a wet test. This will identify if the low compression readings are caused by worn rings or something else, eg valves

Reply to
Simon Isaacs