Parabolic springs

I am thinking of fitting parabolic springs to my Series 3 SWB. Are there any differences in the various makes of the springs, which manufacturers are best?

Thanks

Liam

Reply to
Liam

On or around Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:26:23 -0000, "Liam" enlightened us thusly:

depends who you ask :-)

FWIW, I've seen the recent type which Chris Perfect sells, and they look good, a mate has some on a series II, and reckons they're good.

To get the best effect you need to replace the shocks with ones designed to work with parabolics - they have less self-damping than the traditional multi-leaf ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As far as I know, there are three main manufacturers, and then some others...

T.I. Console, Rocky Mountain, and British Springs are the three main names, and there's probably not a whole lot between them in terms of quality. One thing to be aware of is the 'Helper Spring' that the TICs have on the rear. This is a spring that is normally not connected at the ends to the rest of the springs, and will only become part of the suspension when the vehicle is loaded. Problem is that if you're planning on going a bit further off-road than just gentle green lanes, there is a danger that this helper spring can get caught up on stuff, and possibly bend out of place.

On the other hand, if you're planning on carrying heavy stuff, and want to maintain a level of comfort, then they might be suitable.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew