ping: gps reviewing dude..

ping the gps reviewing dude.. I've lost your website address and was hoping you'd had a chance to review the Avmap Geosat 2, I like the look of it and want to know if it'll do what I want.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

If that's me then yes we have. See:

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Cheers Darren, I've got some questions that are probably general ones but some specific to this unit.

Maps, can I load new and more detailed maps onto it (I'm thinking

1:25k OS maps here).

If I'm using a 1:25k OS map, how accuratly can my position be shown on it? and does it also show me which way I'm facing?

If I leave it on and not following a route can it be set to track my position and save the route so I can review it later? would be handy for me that.

Can I set waypoints? such as if I wander to a spot I want to return to can I push a button and have that location saved as a POI kinda thing?

Can I get POI's that'll show me where speed cameras are?

Can the unit constantly display for me my current speed and compass heading? (whilst doing other stuff such as giving directions).

also, would you like a link to your site from 4x4info.info?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

The AVMap can only use it's own proprietary map software so you cannot use OS maps etc. Given that it cannot use OS or other topo maps I suspect that your other questions don't apply but it does not have a tracklog facility not can it use custom POIs such as our safety cam database. The form factor is nice but otherwise it's poor and best avoided.

And yes a link would be welcomed :)

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Well then that fecks-up a perfectly good plan..

is there anything else that'll do all that with a nice big screen? or should I go to plan B and get a laptop with one of those flippy screens and run it all from that? (do those laptops have touch sensitive screens?)

Do you have a banner? I'll sort it today.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Tablet PC's have touch screens although most require you use their specific pen. Alternatively there are in-car monitors 5 or 6" IIRC that have a VGA input and touch screen. Connected to a laptop this would make a usable system?

I'll ask our designer to sort out the banner and email to you.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Tablet PC is looking like the way to go as I'll need a laptop anyway. Is there software that'll do what I want?

mainly regular route planning and navigation,

1:25k OS mapping, I know about memory map as an example.

display my compass heading and speed on-screen (altitude would be handy too).

email the banner to markvarleyphoto at hotmail.com when it's done and I'll fix it up.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I have a Progear tablet pc and used Autoroute with a usb gps puck recently on a trip to Amsterdam. It was a pain in the arse. The system worked well enough but the display is hopeless in daylight, a bit like using the wi-fi trying to work in the garden with one when it's nice and sunny. It works fine when it's darker etc but I can see the appeal of the smaller brighter screens. I used a laptop as well and it's basically the same. I might try a voice controlled system and see if that helps by not having to rely on a visual cue.

A real shame as it looked so good when leaving the ferry and the relative darkness but as soon as you hit the daylight it goes out the window.

Anyone know of a cheap (free?) nav programme that guides you by speech?

Reply to
wayne

I've not tried it but

I've said this before but I use gpstrackmaker on the pc, I'll also port it to the laptop soon, snaffle 1:25000 topos from OS and mark out my route. I upload this to the Garmin12xl which I carry when walking. I do the same for a journey to a new destination by car and mount the gps in a mobile fone carrier on the dash.

I'm told to avoid using the laptop during the actual journey as you can't look at it and the hdd suffers.

The thing my current arrangement lacks is the re routing ability in case of traffic jams or closed roads.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I think you'll need to upgrade to MapPoint but I've used this with success, albeit wished I had louder speakers and a better display.

At least the maps will be reasonably up to date - I'm about to pitch TomTom out of the bloody window. The maps seem to be circa 1974...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Memory-Map is the best for off road stuff. 1:25k mapping is only available in digital form for some national park areas currently. I gave up on my Tablet for in-car use because I couldn't see the screen due to glare etc.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

MapPoint use the same MapData :(

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

InfoMap Navigator. Less than £50 and has full voice, post code, dynamic routing etc.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Yes, but rather more recent I think! I think TomTom is actually using a TeleAtlas release from 2003, the data from which is probably 2 years old itself.

So no M6 Toll, London is hopeless (it drove me into a park car park the other day!) and loads of junction changes and developments on the A1 are missing.

The worst bit is that 50:50 when you drive on a road it doesn't know about, the software crashes. I pray the forthcoming Navigator is somewhat improved or I will be binning it for something NavTeq based.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

V5 has Q4 2004 Release Maps. Sadly Navteq aren't any better, they have just as many issues as TA.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

so the avmap won't do what I want... a laptop/tablet has visability issues, the neat little tomtom go thing won't run decent maps. is there a gps system that'll do what I want? the search goes on.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Any idea when the PDA version and / or the SDK will be available?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

PDA version is imminent, I have it running here. When I met with TomTom in April they assured me the SDK would follow shortly after the release of v5 so I'd expect a late June availability.

v5 is worth it IMHO for the PostCode lookup alone but it also adds built-in POI Alert functionality, Q4 2004 map data, screen refresh is interpolated so appears smooth to the eye rather than a 1Hz refresh, and traffic, weather etc are built-in subject to an active PLUS account and data connection.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

While we're on the topic of GPS's - All the bits of sotware on your site are labelled as for pocketpc or palm. Surely some of them will work on normal windows on a PC? I ask because i was reading the reviews trying to fiund something suitable to run on a car-pc

While the car-pc isnt quite a 'pocketgps', its not far off!

Or do you have any recomendations for other sites that do the same as yours but are based towards GPS stuff on proper PC's?

Ta

Reply to
Tom Woods

So TomTom does proper post codes now? One of its most infuriating features is resolving a suburban postcode to the nearest large town then refusing to find a street in that suburb because you've "specified" the town rather than the suburb.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs