Got it!!

Well, Mark arrived on Friday morning looking like he'd drove 350 miles in a 110 Land Rover!!

Like a kid I couldn't wait to get home & start tinkering. It took me 4 hours to get rid of 3 tons of Cornwall mud from the underside (free if you want it back Mark?)

It seems sound enough, needs a new rear door. The scrappers want £50 for one in similar condition, might as well get a new one for £70 pre glazed. Sure Richard at Beamends will have a similar deal??

Really want the spare wheel on the door, not the bonnet as it does make for interesting lifting & do you trust the prop etc?

The ride is like a Rolls after a S3, power steering needs adjusting a tad I think, but overall it seems great.

One thing I can't work out is on taking up drive there is a metallic noise (not a clunk, clank) that sounds like metal on metal but not like a worn gearbox or transfer box etc. Let up the clutch softly & it's fine. I wonder if it's something clutch related? This said, it doesn't make any difference to the drive etc! It's an LT77 box, not sure on the transfer box!

The engine is as sweet as a nut for one that's (possibly) done 233k !!

My plans are to get it cleaned up, sort headlining out clean up & underseal the chassis, sort the metallic noise out, tidy up some of the panels & then possibly re-paint it in the original colour (russet brown!) Although, the paints not too bad!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"They called him Jimmy the gent"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sun, 15 May 2005 14:21:04 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

interesting lifting & do you

never had problems with the prop on mine. Spare on the door leads to buggered rear door/hinges, though - it's not strong enough to carry the weight.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bugger it then, stays there, can you get a cover for it? Seems to collect water round the rim. I dont want one that had bloody adverts etc on, just a plain black cover would do?

How easy is it to adjust the steering box? Same as a Trooper, undoe outer locknut & then tighten up, as it gets tight slacken of 1/4 turn, then tighten locknut?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"They called him Jimmy the gent"

Reply to
Nige

Land Rover!!

there is a pradictable reason for that...

get rid of 3 tons of

good cornish mut that is, put it on your roses...

similar condition, might

similar deal??

interesting lifting & do you

the bracketry on the bonnet is from the rear doos so you could fit it to a new door, the only bit missing is the bit U bolt looking thing which is in the bag of 'stuff'. a sheet of chequer plate will cover the bonned holes nicely.

think, but overall it seems

a clunk, clank) that

up the clutch softly &

make any difference to the

LT230 no idea about the funny noise... there was something odd before the front wheel bearing was changed but since then it's been quiet so I thought it was fixed, probably a new and interesting noise...

chassis, sort the

the original colour (russet

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Just sounds like metal to metal on takeup, not severe or owt.

Reply to
Nige

metal on metal.. hmm, worn-out clutch mebbe?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

It would slip like a bugger with that weight to shift, I'm thinking slack in the fork/bearing mechanism ??

Any pointers, not really bothered as I can just let the clutch out gently!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"They called him Jimmy the gent"

Reply to
Nige

round the rim. I dont

Yes, you can get a cover. get one with a rigid centre piece though unless you want a bonnet mounted bird bath when it rains.

Reply to
Tom Woods

the fork/bearing mechanism

hmm, yea it would slip, and it never has..

don't have a clue on that one...

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

water round the rim. I dont

You could always put a little plastic boat in it, and try to get round corners without capsizing it!

Reply to
SimonJ

Mine has had a noise like that for a while (including the clutch effect) and I was just coming round to thinking about UJs, despite not being able to get any significant movement. However, coincidentally, I finally got around to changing the bushes on the lower links and Bingo - the noise has gone! Check the big bush at the front end of the lower link and make sure that the rubber hasn't compressed and come away from the steel end plates. Of course it could be something else, but it wasn't terrible expensive to do, although the bushes at the rear end are a sod to do - I got hold of a pair of second hand links and rebushed them before taking the old ones off the Landy.

Good luck,

Bob

1990 ex-RAF 110 3.5 V8 17KJ83 1967 3/4 ton Sankey 09ES17
Reply to
Bob Miller

Another common problem is wear in the ball joint on the top of the rear axle.

Reply to
Dougal

in similar condition, might

similar deal??

interesting lifting & do you

Thats and early one - no WW and not heated. If you want WW and spare wheel carrier holes you need an RTC6247 which we fo for £111.62 Inc VAT (£114.50 plus VAT at Paddocks)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Mines a 1984 with no WW or holes req!!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Rear door hinge components are cheap, better off getting a dedicated spare wheel carrier though, personally I don't like 'em up front due to the bonnet problems and the extra restrained visibility which is a PITA when off-roading.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Also half-axle spline wear, this causes a large clonk on mine when I change gear and is responsible for most of the drivetrain slack. I'll get around to fixing it!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

hmm, I never had trouble lifting the bonnet with the spare on, nor did i find it intrusive from a vision point of view, but then I'm 6'4" so maybe sitting higher..

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Thats £88.12 inc VAT!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

.......But mark did once leave his Landy parked for about a week. When he came back two seagulls had built a lovely nest in his spare wheel!

Regards, Denise (Mark's wife)

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

Dee Varley

It's harder to lift, that's for sure, but it's also the problem of the bonner coming down on your head if you trust the stock prop, I know I wouldn't trust it! Adding more props just gets in the way.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings