PING! - Penny dropping...

Suddenly the gas-guzzler is not what the majority quite imagined it to be... though I'm glad the perception is that us 4x4 owners are minted.... if only!

I like the councillor harping on about being Green... since when was a parked car ungreen.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Doesn't mention 4x4s anywhere, most unusual.

There was a piece in Private Eye about it an issue or two ago, the permit scheme only operates during the day, so it would only affect those cars that are parked during the day, so people who commute by public transport would be hit, while those who drive to work wouldn't have to pay a penny. I'm not sure if they'll keep that permit scheme or will change it at the same time as they hike the price.

Also there was something about the scheme most likely being illegal and ripe for court challenges, in an area with lots of wealthy lawyers living in it.

It's a dumb idea IMHO, anything that encourages people to buy a new car is wrong, especially hybrids with their batteries and extremely high manufacturing costs. I wonder why the VW Lupo 3L was never sold in this country, that was actually quite a good bunny-hugger, relatively speaking.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I like the bit near the end.....

"It means those who own cars that put out less carbon dioxide will be charge less and those that put out more, are charged more."

Which really means...

"It means those who own cars that put out less carbon dioxide will be charge *the same* and those that put out more, are charged more."

Why can't poiliticians just tell the truth instead of trying to spin everything!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Which really means "those whos cars put out more Co2 per mile", as they've still not cottoned on to the link between pollution and miles driven! Someone who owns a "dirty" car but works from home will be charged more than someone who drives a normal car but commutes 60 miles twice a day. Daft.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No. Tax.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Same thing!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

No, but did you look at associated picture ?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

How are they going to apply this? When it comes to VED the banding only applies to vehicles registered from March 2001 (is that right, I don't remember the exact date) because they have the necessary [comparable] figures for CO2 for those newer vehicles. I wonder exactly how they are going to work out these parking charges for older vehicles... because surely if they manage to do it for parking charges they can do it for VED on older vehicles as well - which we all know, they don't.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Looks like cars, really, whether they're 4x4s or not I have no idea, I don't recognise them, the image is alt-labelled as "Row of high performance vehicles" although the image filename is "_42507563_4x4s_pa_story203.jpg"

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They will probably set the charge for old vehicles at some fairly high value to encourage people to get rid of the old cars and get new ones... Same as the VED for pre 2001 cars (running a 1980 car on LPG im not bitter at all ....)

Reply to
Tom Woods