Portable genny

At......Aldi!!!

I *am* getting one of these babies!

Nige

is that a good price? (not up on gennys)

if you are over this way again then go for sandbach aldi. they still had compressors on friday just gone!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thats where i went to look, we are working at the new council offices building just over the road. £50 for a small portable is very cheap i think.

Reply to
Nige

But, from listening to friends who have been seduced by the sight of a genny for

Reply to
Richard

I want it for running task lighting, good enough for that.

Reply to
Nige

I thought you had no joy with a compressor? perhaps they got more in?. My uncle and grandad went there on friday morning and said they still had 'em?

I was working in sandbach today too!

I'll look out for your disco from now on!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I got a small 2-stroke genny (800W I think) and it's really only good for lighting - I have managed a small angle grinder on it, but it was struggling. And it's an utter bitch to start. Later, I splashed on a Honda (site range with a frame, not the suitcase jobbies) - 2KvA and it's a gem.

Reply to
Rich B

How much though?

Reply to
Nige

they had 'em, i just didn't have my debit card ort cash with me ffs. They dont take CC ffs.

Reply to
Nige

Just as well, it won't have the grunt to start a decent power tool. But

50 squid is a good price for one of those and the large tank is useful. They are two strokes though and all that entails...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can't remember - under 200, though, maybe 150-ish.

Reply to
Rich B

I really have a calling playing devils advocate- get a real army surplus nasty one how about this beastie

mind you I'm really not sure about the model name.Derek

Reply to
Derek

They are AMAZING bits of kit. Heavier than a 101 though.... Worth every penny, no-one can nick it, because it weighs so much. Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I've always been tempted to buy one of those mains inverters. There would be something strangely satisfying about firing up the angle grinder at the side of the road!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Those generators that Aldi are doing have been doing the rounds of JTF etc for a few years now under various brand names - we got one to run the computer at shows. The actual engine and generator bits are ok, but the construction of the plug/switch panel is, er , cheap - if I'd wired the panel I'd have had myself shot, never mind QA doing it. Great for occasional use but using them even every Sunday only was enough for Doug's to only last a couple of months before cheap (and I mean cheap!) compnents caused melted connections - they are not "industrial" in any way, shape or form. Infact all these cheap power & general tools doing the rounds seem identical, but with different stickers - someon in China is making a hell of a lot of them! You pays yer money....

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Rich B uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

Yeahs... I remember it well!

I love stuff like this, once I've worked out which way the choke is on/off to the point I've written it on mine in big gold pen lettering :-).

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Whenever i buy new power tools i generally get a marker pen and write the important key points from the instruction manual on the top of it! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm amazed you havent had an email-shot from them yet, they seem very willing to trade( god knows why they think I run a business) the firm that manufactures the air impact drivers seems to sell to just about everybody and his dog (machine mart, sealey, northern tool,etc etc ) though Aldi do the best deal

just stick a label on it and you have your own custom tool

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Have to be a fairly hefty invertor to power an angle grinder. Motors generally need 2 or 3 times the power to start than they do when running= . Not to mention that 750W (when running) at 12v is 62A from your battery =

factor in some ineffciency in the invertor and you're rapidly starting t= o look at 100A...

Better off getting a generator, Makro have a 1.5kW diesel for around =A3100. You'd be able to run that on red so not be paying road fuel duty= on our fuel. May even be able to make it live of SVO or a SVO/red mix.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Call me old fashioned, but I don't doing warranty returns... :-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd