Portable genny

Absolutely bomb proof, we used them to power radio trucks back in the '60s and it wouldn't surprise me to know that some of them are still going!!

Reply to
John Moppett

You should have switched them off mush.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Funny you say that, I use mine to power my Makita 2Kw 9'' angle grinder. Not to grind with, but to turn a compounding mop for paintwork polishing. The grinder runs only up to about 2000 revs which is just about right, basically I'm too tight to buy a proper polisher tool (circa £90) to use about once a year.

BTW the little 900W (little stinky) generators won't make a microwave run at all, but they're great with resistive loads up to rated capacity.

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Forgot to mention that these things are designed for the American market too. If you tweek the governor screw you can raise it from 50Hz (3000 revs) to 60Hz (3600 revs) and get a fair bit more waft out the thing.

Of course you need to be careful not to plug any equipment in that might be frequency sensitive, but there isn't that much I don't think.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

On or around Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:51:22 +0000, John Moppett enlightened us thusly:

shades of "On the Beach".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:32:35 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

they're self-exciting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Onan generators are a well known name and have been going for years and years, the link above is the same as the one I have, and yes it is very heavy I think 200 Kg's or there abouts, 2 people can pick it up but you don't want to move it far. All steel and cast iron flat twin 12 Horse four stroke running at 1500 RPM, generating a max of 14 Amps or can be easily adjusted for 110volts has an alternator with integral starter motor or you can rope start it, will go on for ever but in 8 hrs will use about 5 galls of fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Guess they need starting by hand, though.

Reply to
Rich B

On or around Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:03:38 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

bigger ones might need 2 hands...

Reply to
Austin Shackles