Portable (glove box) compressor

A while ago we discussed on board air systems and there was some interest in a compressor I got for £5 at a forecourt in Dorset touring. Well , just been to get a gallon of derv for the Rangie so it has sufficent fuel for it's final trip with us tomorrow and local Morrisons (forecourt shop) are doing the same compressor £4.99. Nice little unit , fits even in it's box within the centre cubby box on a Disco 1. Says it's 300psi but hope never to have the need to test it! I got another for our second car as you can pretty much guarentee that if I need one it'll be in the other daily driver.

Anyway enough of the hard sell. I should be on commision here! Just though it worth flagging up again given they are in circulation.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Saw something that may be the same at Woodall Services on the M1 in the last couple of weeks, at least I fairly sure it was Woodall might have been Tibshelf (? Tib somthing...). Tiddly little box 300psi rating and a gauge at =A34.99.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Before you get carried away .. just remember that volume not pressure is the prime requirement when inflating Land Rover-sized tyres. These little compressors do struggle just a little.

Reply to
Dougal

Good things to have about I used one on a few times on Peggy (alloy rash causing air to bleed off the rim - resealed and moussed to be sure) they are handy for an alternator check as well plug it in and set it buzzin then fire up and you will have no doubt whether the alternator is pumping plenty of juice Derek

Reply to
Derek

Ah, the repository of 16 odd pints of ATF back in June.

Still there too, on the sliproad (Southbound)...

Reply to
Mother

I should think so too. I was borderline cardiac ward last time I inflated a Landy rim from flat using a foot pump. :0)

I seem to recall the instructions for my first one (I was on holiday and short of reading material) suggested no longer than 10 minutes use at any one time. I'd like to think it would have a tyre inflated in less time than that. Admittedly it's not going to blow a tyre onto a rim though.

Do you think it would be ok to spray my fence pannels?

:0P

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Woodall or Tibshelf entry or exit slip? Can't say I noticed but there is normally a lot of spillage on exit slips. I guess diesel from over full trucks...

As to the little compressors I have a similar thing takes it about a minute to raise the pressure by a PSI or so on topping up. I think it would take quite a while from flat but a damn sight easier than the foot pump!

I do have 255/55R18's but I wonder if the volume of these squatter fatter tyres is the same as the more standard narrower taller (235/65R16 or so) ones?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just a word of warning though, mine takes forever to blow a tyre up and the gauge is out by at least 10psi TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I've had similar experience with the tiddly 300psi compressor. Seemed to take forever to blow a 235/85 16 up fro 10 psi to 35 psi, then it stopped working! Motor was going even faster than usual but no air coming out! I guess some sort of diaphragm thingy has gone bad! What do you expect for a fiver?!!!

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

In article , Lee_D writes

We've had a couple for ages too, and they *are* useful. Coupla points:

- They are high current devices. Fitting a locking cigar-lighter plug (if that's what you use) is a good idea to prevent overheating. I usually run the engine whilst pumping the tyres, as the higher voltage seems to help a lot and it doesn't drain the battery so much. I think they must pull close on 100W. We've got aux power outlets in the back of the people-carrier, but I wouldn't be tempted because of the extra cable length (I always use the lighter socket). Delegating a small child to hold the plug in is good too!

- naturally the compressor part is crude. The older one of ours was sounding strained recently, much improved by three-in one oil dribbled into the cylinder. The gears are greased nylon, so I left those alone. I think this will be a regular thing.

- Even when well-lubricated they struggle to get to 50PSI. I don't think the castings could cope with 150, let alone 300!

- the pressure gauges on both of them are wildly off target. Obviously I use another gauge, but the other thing of concern is that tyre pressures should be measured cold and the output air gets very hot. Thus I usually give it about 3 PSI more than spec (on the Landy), less in the winter, which seems to settle back to the pressure I want.

- they are good for pressure, not volume. The kids nearly knackered one of ours by trying to use it for an inflatable.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In message , TonyB writes

What always gets me about these things is that the gauge does go up to

300psi, but the difference between, say, 20 and 30 psi is about the width of a part of a gnat's anatomy that can't be mentioned in public.

I can't see why none of the ones I've seen has a gauge that is useful in the real world.

Reply to
Bill

I have one of those jump starty battery thingys that has a compressor built in, as well as 3 lighter sockets and a handy pair of lights, got it from Lidl a year or two ago for not very much, jump started the 110 diesel when I got it with a duff battery and dead alternator on. I've used the compressor many times to top-up tyres, will add 5psi or so to 8 car tyres in about 20-30 minutes and constant running at that too. Also used for 3 inflatable dingys many times during the summer. No faffing around with wires either.

anyhoo, sommat's better than nowt.

-- Mark.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

In article , MVP writes

Sounds like a good'n. Seen them about recently?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Bill writes

'Leg?'

There must be strange social mores in Norfolk...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Tibshelf, about 50M from the entry slip.

Can't miss it - twas there last week (sadly) still.

Another pool where the little path runs from the lorry park.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:49:47 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

The word from a recent-ish magazine article was that truckair ones, although more expensive, are worth the extra. Bigger pump, more solid and rated for continuous use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

They look excellent.

Why are they £50 here though? Smacks of "because we can" profiteering to me.

Did you get yours here or in the US? If here, did you find a better source than the ones I turned up on the Web?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Nope, but my neighbor is always updating me on whats at the local Lidl etc, never usually go there myself, so if he mentiones them I'll post a headz-up.

-- Mark.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Or keep an weekly eye on:

work, shows current and the next two lots of specials)
of cycling stuff from the 29th)

Lidl because the nearest is right in the centre of Carlisle, thus a pain to get to. Aldi don't seem to have quite such interesting stuff and I'm beggered if I'm getting up to drive the 40+ mins to either to be there an hour before opening!

One or other of those stores also operates a regional distribution as well so something may only be a "special" in a particular part of the country.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

When I was hunting down some digital verniers on special offer at Netto, the store without any rang around and found the ones that did ! Better service than Ikea ever offer...

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor