Power steering leak

Hi chaps. 4-bolt adwest steering box on my ninety. It leaks consitently from under the top plate (lid) of the box. I have taken the top off and the seal seems okay. Problem seems to be getting worse, drip is now a flow! Could there be too much pressure in the system or just a faulty top seal??? BTW bought a seal kit from paddocks. The seal I want is malformed!!!! Will returm it today if I have time.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

That may be true, but the seal on the PS box is not a flat gasket type like say a rocker cover or a water pump. It is a flat ring seal round a short cylindrical part below the top plate. I always torque everything correctly where possible. I wouldn't have thought it to be majorly critical in this place as the top plate does not do the job of sealing in the fluid.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

It sounds like it is just the seal. Hydraulics do wierd and wonderful things, but as far as I can see the pump is pretty much either producing pressure or not, so it can be lower but not higher. Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Make sure you bleed the box!

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Box bled, ta. Adjuted using Land Rover WSM specs.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

I read that a pressure relief valve failure in the pump can produce over or under pressurisation of the system.

Reply to
90ninety