Crap!-oil leak

Noticed drippage on one heater box, looked like leaky valve cover gasket, so changed it out. although gasket wasn't that old and looked good...ok thought problem solved. Well still oil drippage there, and now also on the other side in the same place. that is towards the front of the valve cover, dripping on the heater box, then to the ground. a few drops every time I park it.

So, oil cooler seal?, leaking the oil to each side? oil cooler itself? but seems like the fan would blow any oil from there down that little doghouse chute, front main? but no oil drips where the engine meets the trans. sump plate is dry, no leaks.

Anybody got any ideas before I pull the engine, or a least the fan shroud??

(I guess this puts a damper on the dual carbs I was looking for a few posts back)

Reply to
Cletus

look up at the pushrod tubes... not uncommon for leaks where they meet the rockerboxes...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

also the rocker assembly studs can leak, as well as the bottom 4 head studs on each side. You should put sealant under the washers on the studs, but I don't know if you want to mess with that right now. There's an o-ring around the base of the rocker shaft stud that is supposed to seal it against leaks. To gain access to the rocker stud and the o-ring, the whole rocker assembly needs to come out. And then you'd have easy access to the head studs, nuts and washers. Maybe loosen up one at a time, clean, apply sealant and re-torque to spec.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It might be a gravity leak or an oil pressure leak or both.

Look for the simple leaks and start from there.

There is a special dye available at Auto Zone I think.

You use that dye in the motor oil and shine a black light on it to look for the leaks.

A little rtv sealant on the drain plug threads and the sump plate threads helps prevent some of the gravity leaks.

Look for loose nuts on the oil pump cover. If that cover falls off, it might be the =91end of the road matey=92!

This link might help!

Jim Ed