Question for the LR gods

Hi again guys! Been lurking and learning alot from all in the past year. I have a 97 Discovery SE and aquired a LR full roof rack for it. Of course now I would like to mount the lights on the rack, but have one question.......where the hell do you make a penatration into the body for the power???? Have been toyng with many schemes (all hindu) and before I go cutting the body I thought you all might be able to help. All the local dealer wants to do is have me make an appt. and charge for the advice. While here...thanks for many hours of entertainment. The led sheep where great!! Thanks again guys...and girls as the case may be

Reply to
Rick N

On or around Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:12:32 -0700 (PDT), Rick N enlightened us thusly:

I'd look at getting in around the front of the front door somewhere, I reckon, then run down the A post behind the trim. If you do put a hole in the roof, make sure that you seal it well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Personally I wouldn't bother making a hole in the roof or bodywork, the door seals are s**te anyway, so run the cable down the front, over the gutter and into the top of the door, then down behind the A-post trim ... I run my CB cable down the back of the door, and don't get any more draughts than normal .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Inside the snorkle and out in to the engine bay suitably sealing the snorkle on the way out.

Not that I've done it but that is what I would do myself. Neat and tidy and no holes.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'd bring the power and wiring up the side of the snorkel, along with axle breathers in some poly pipe. Should look fairly neat that way.

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

i again guys! Been lurking and learning alot from all in the past

Thanks for the input. Was thinking of a mil spec connector attached to the body on drivers post. That way it could be sealed and mating connector on rack would allow easy removal. Penatration into body covered inside by plastic trim plate on post also. Just a pan....maybe not good...but a plan none the less.

Reply to
Rick N

again guys! Been lurking and learning alot from all in the past

Assuming that this part of the bodyshell is similar to the RRC, one of the easiest areas to penetrate is the bulkhead into the passenger footwell.

You don't have a snorkel, do you? Thought not!

You'd probably be advised against making holes in the A-post above the waistline: it does provide a small amount of roll-over strength which a hole could reduce substantially.

If you do make a hole in the roof, you have easy access to the top of the A-post and can route cables down there behind the trim.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi again guys! Been lurking and learning alot from all in the past

I wouldn't reccomend putting any holes in the roof really, sealing such=20 things is always a bugger, and a snorkel is a fairly small cost as well=20 as giving slightly better airflow for the engine and protection against=20 large bodies of water :) They also look good too ;)

--=20 Alex Threlfall Cyberprog New Media

Alex Threlfall