Power steering pulley removal.

Rightly oh.. tomorrow mornings entertainment is removal of the power steering pump on the 110 (19j engine - a gut feeling it's the same pump as early 200tdi's) and trip to Beamends.

HBOL says I need to remove the pulley. Does this just bolt to a flat "doofer hub" on the pump or is it going to be a friction fit over a shaft requiring hammering and a trip to Dads to get the bearing pullers? ... also is there space for pullers if required to do it in situ if indeed they are likely to be required?

I'm hoping for a remove three bolts and pick up undamaged pulley off the driveway answer but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

I'm also guessing there is no keyshaft in this part of the removal and the procedure is similar to removing a wheel for want of a better simple description.

And I suppose it best to check the nuts / bolts are normal threads i.e. anti-clockwise to undo.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

The pulley bolts to the flange on the pump - the flange is very much part of the pump!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Oily uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Nah, I'm not buying that.... At least not till I'm sat here saying yep! ;-)

Then again that was the very reason I leaned towards a 110. :-)

Reply to
Dr_D

Martin

Reply to
Oily

"Dr_D" wrote :-

'S not for sale, it's free. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Oily uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well just having a brew after excraction and collection of new said pump.... pee'ing down outside - that wet stuff too.

Anyway.. so far so good.

As Richard states the Flange is at one with the pump.. not coming off so a new seal is a no no regardless.

For anyone else who does this - the banjo bolt comes with the new pump in my case so don't stress too much about getting the old one off.

The pulley came off easily using a 13mm spanner against the chassis to hold one bolt head to stop the pulley rotating... then undo the other two... I've forgotten how I did the third but it came undone nice and easy. Pulley came off with a light wiggle so the hammer stayed on the shelf for later.

Of the two pipes in my case.. the feed is held on with a jubillee clip.. leave undoing this till the pump is loose however if you can possibly get a spanner on the ouput pipe union just above the banjo while the pump is on then do it... it's damn near impossible to hold the pump and undo this once the pump is removed.

Right - off to find my waterproof overalls!

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Dr_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well it's fitted and problem solved! :-)

And it's just stopped raining.. typical in'it!

Fingers crossed for MOT now tomorrow morning.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

"Dr_D" wrote :-

Have you bled it ready for morning?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Oily uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah MOT doesn't run out till midnight.. Been for a run and it's back to one finger steering in both directions with no more groaning and no more puddles :) Would have take it for the MOT last week but I've replaced the headlights and now done this as they were certain failure points.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Nice one.