Range Rover engine removal

Hmm, I seem to be a bit stuck.

Trying to remove the engine from my '98 4.6 Range Rover. Everything is now released except mountings and 3 bolts securing the bell housing to the engine, the upper 2 and one on the right below the top one. Any idea how to remove these bolts? Can't get a spanner on the lower one at all, and the upper ones are so close to the bulkhead that the spanner fits at a daft angle that would slip under presure. Socket won't fit either on any of them. Any bright ideas?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

On or around 28 Jun 2006 11:13:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

pull the engine and box as a unit and split them after?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Let the whole unit drop & support the bits that need supporting, then split it as you require. There is a way of doing it as i have seen loads in breakers, but it will be easier to do it as Austin says.

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

According to the manual, up to 99 model, the engine and transmission is removed as a unit, after 99, the engine is removed on it own, but remove the engine mounts from the engine and chassis first. This presumably allows the engine to drop enough to access the rest of the bolts.

Reply to
SimonJ

Yeah, I read that, can't understand why they state this, the 'box and engine is the same. Only difference on the later unit is an ally sump pan and different injection gear. I've got most of the induction stuff off anyway so now there should be no difference. I really don't want to take the boxes out as well, too much extra work, so I think I'll remove the engine mounts and drop the engine as much as I can, shove it left/right etc and see if that helps access. Last resort is to remove the gearbox crossmember and drop the box a bit too. All this to save a grand :-)

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

When its as low as it can go try getting at them from over the top of the gearbox with a load of extensions.

Icky

Reply to
icky

Ive just had a new engine fitted in my 1998 P38 by a local independent outfit. While work was in progress I popped in to have a look. My car was up in the air on the lift and he was working on the deck below transferring bits on the engines. The gearbox was still in the car and there were no extra supports in place so I'm sure the crossmember was still there. It obviously can be done but I'm afraid I can't tell you how!

Gaz

Reply to
Gazza

Take the engine mountings off (a bit fiddly to get back on though) and drop the engine down - making sure nothing gets squashed/stretched.

Also works on Defenders & Discovery I's - no need to remove the floor to do a clutch.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Just an update.......

With the engine mountings removed and the engine dropped as low as it will go, it is just possible to get at all the bell housing bolts, but from differing places. The worst ones are on the starter motor side. These are removed by careful use of a very well fitting 14mm impact socket hamered onto the imperial bolt head, this way it won't slip and round them off! Then use wiggle drive, various extention pieces and all while on your back under the car. What fun the last 2 days have been!

Right, now to build the new engine with the good bits from the old, then refit!

Anyone want a 4.6 block, excellent condition on 7 bores? ;-)

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Where are you matey?

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

I'm in Hatfield, Hertfordshire. I'll list the block on Ebay, as there's bound to be someone there who'll pay silly money for it, even if I do describe exactly what state it's in. Some have recently sold for over =A3400 even having the description of a slipped liner and presurizes the cooling system. I'd be pleased to get a couple of hundred. Anything to reduce the huge credit card bill due in a few weeks.

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Yikes!!! Mate, it's worth £30 maximum! But, as you say, some sucker will bid that.

nige

Reply to
Nige