Rangie MOT Today........... :(

Failed........

1 - No read number plate light (bulb gone) - Bulb now replaced 2 - Bulb gone in fog light switch on dash - Bulb now replaced 3 - Dangerous body work (a bracket from where the rear bumper once was on the side under the lights) - Now Removed 4 - Bulb gone in nearside indicator - Bulb now replaced 5 - Welding needed near n/s/r wheel arch.

Regarding number 5.......

There is a hole starting to appear in the rear wheel arch that is near the seat belt mounting. It is only about an inch wide, and the surrounding metal is OK.

What would be a gestimate price to weld a plate over it. I don't want to get ripped off!!! £10, £20, £30, £50???

Mark

Reply to
Mark S

Mark S posted ...

For me it'd be a beer to my brother .. who's a welder by trade .. ;)

Go to any local engineering or metal fabrication company and ask them if they can't do it 'while you wait' .. it's likely to be well below the price of any garage .. unless you know the garage owner/manager/technician well .. ;)

I have also been known to use (on a Ford Escort that only cost £200) a fibre glass repair kit to 'get it through' the MOT before replacing the wing panel properly .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Took our RR on Friday. Rear shock absorber bush worn, but when we looked at the previous MOT it only done 3000 miles.

Reply to
Nikki

In message , Paul - xxx writes

Of course if you value the resilience of your seat-belt mounting you'll weld it up ... if it's a cosmetic repair fill it with 'poo' - half my Astra seemed to be held together with the stuff - but when a tenner might save your life there's no point taking the risk.

Reply to
AndyG

I wouldn't expect to pay less than £30. But it depends on how good a job is going to be done - is it going to be a dirty great plate sloppily welded over the hole, or a neatly fitted flush mounted, ground back plate, with a backing plate behind it?

How much trim/other stuff needs removed/protected from going up in smoke?

Gas/wire/paint/flap disk/grinding disk all cost money as well.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Do you not have any friends who have a welder? Ask them nicely and perhaps offer beer or seivices in return!. I've been welding up my mates bulkhead the last couple of weekends in return for him putting down slabs in my front garden :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

you may get it done by a welding shop if you give someone a good drink for it . but remember when the welder wants a job doing by someone, they charge them the earth for doing it !!.

the carpet directly above the seatbelt mount needs to be lifted away and clear from the welding area . this might be glued in place but can be pulled away and reglued afterwards. it would be much easier to grind off the seatbelt mount securing bolt and weld a 5" square repair plate in place centrally over top of the HOLE for bolt [with hole drilled in repair plate to pass bolt back thru] , inside the wheel arch , and renew the bolt .

may possibly need to tack weld a nut onto repair plate so that the seatbelt mount can be bolted back in place .

this is a common ROT area on rangeys , thats why i went over to a landrover , they dont have sills etc to rot out .

if youre going to take vehicle in and have welding done get them to look at the front and rear of the inner sill area , also at the lower area to the front of rearwheel arches.

Reply to
M0bcg