Re: Air Bags

You need to get hold of a dummy squib and fit it in place of the airbag igniters, you need to remove the bag, unplug it and connect the little squib resister instead, then put it all back together, leaving the airbag supply cable taped to the squid and tucked away behind the dash, you can also simply use a resistor, but for the life of me I can't remember the value! I used to have a bunch in my desk for frigging test cars (but of course your not supposed to do it).

Alastair

Reply to
ajmac

Hi Alastair Thanks for the response, excuse my ignorance but what is a "squib"? any idea where I would get one from. I found some information on this site

suggested using a 3 ohm 1/2-watt resistor,how does this value sound to you?, I assume the resister is to stop the baglight coming on, could I simply measure the resistance in the igniter coil (after having removed the bag safely, obviously), is the igniter still a dangerous device after removal? (what I mean is, would the current from the multimeter be able to set it off). how many wires should I expect to find and what are they, I only ask as I looked at this url
and as you can see there are 3wires shown TIA

Reply to
Terry

i wouldn't apply anything electrical to one of them my self, i know they have some current flowing through them to test the systems when they are in the car, but any manual for a car that has seat belt pre-tensioners says not to test them with a multimeter, as they are activated by any current flowing across them, and a multimeter being used to test the resistance will set them off, along with static build up and all that,

for the air bag sections they generally say don't mess with them, but make no mention of testing the igniter like they do with the seat belt pre-tensioners, i guess the pre-tensioners are more likely to be farted about with than the airbag?

Reply to
Gazz

You need to remove the detonator at a guess. But don't do it - you are effectively trying to disable a bomb. People have been killed messing with airbags.

FWIW we have a front seat for the little un, and we find it far too distracting having her up front. She wants to play and we want to keep an eye on her. Quite dangerous IME. She is, consequently, always carried in the back. I would say that amidships is also the safest place to sit.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

.......but it MUST be disabled totally (no chance of it deploying at all)

What does your insurance company say? ...you have spoken to them about airbag removal and all the associated implications haven't you?

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I had a TT for a while which had a switch, made it so easy.

Are the insurers likely to worry that much? I'd be interested to know, if somebody confirms it with them.

Reply to
David French