Re-chipping the ECU

Ok rechipping the ECU in a 4.0 SE 800 pounds (re-mapping fuel and ignition)

Benefits:

  1. better fuel ecconomany
  2. More BHP/Torque
  3. More responsive
  4. Removes limp home mode
  5. Lowers engine temperature

Why the hell if it offers all this don't Landover fit this as a standard, makes no sense to me to sell the customer a car that is heavy on fuel and slow!

so what's the catch with remapping the ECU?

Reply to
wayne

Engine/transmission/suspension etc design parameters will be exceeded, legislative retrictions will be broken, known problems will be "un-mapped out" etc etc.

There's a hell of a lot more to designing a car (and the engine is just one component of a very complex system - which is what a car is) than "well it runs ok (so far) and passes an MOT". I wouldn't have one, and certainly not in a 4.0 V8 which has major designe problems anyway!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

The latest "Stage 4" emmisions require car manufacturers to demonstrate that a particular engine will still meet current emmision limits after 100k miles. If you boost power you wear the engine quicker so it puts out more emmisions. My brother who is in R&d at Ford is routinely given engines known to have been maufactured outside of tolerance to test the engine managment software's ability to achieve this.

Reply to
Adrian England

The factory set the ECU to an average to allow for differing grades of fuel and a huge range of temperature variation, chipping it potentially removes this range of tolerance and potentially decreases the life of the engine. I say potentially because you may never need that range of usability, so chipping might suit you.

Reply to
Exit