Re: FS New Classic Range Rover Axle

On or around Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:11:10 +0100, "Bo" enlightened us thusly:

For sale on ebay >
New unsued>Pre EFI Range Rover Classic front axle. New and never fitted it is complete>except for calipers. Ideal for restoration project or repair.>

I don't suppose it'd fit a 110...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:28:14 +0100, "Bo" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. is it in fact the same axle? Looking at the disco one, the swivels are not the same. I rather thought the disco one was the same as the RR. BICBW.

might contemplate new CV joints for the one I've got, Paddock have 'em on offer ATM.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think Disco axles changed between 200 and 300 variants? Different joints or summat I thought... But I could be making that up...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:50:17 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

not actually studied RR ones in detail, but the 300 TDi disco ones certainly have different swivel housings to the 110.

early disco and RR ones don't have the rubbery cap on the hub end, like the

110 has and the later discos.

Partly depends what sort of money it goes for. AFAIK, the bearings etc are sound in mine, just there's a lot of lash in it somewhere, which *seems* to be in the CV joints. One of 'em rattles on full lock, which is a bit of a give-away too. Looked at the splines on the hub ends the other day, minimal play there. But I'll not rule out play in the diff, unless/until I pull it apart and check it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

RR axle swivels are bolted to the case by 6 bolts, 90/110 axle is heavier construction and has 7 bolts so obviously the swivels will be different. Never heard of anyone having probs in that area though. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

RR axles also have the 7 bolt fixing, it changed sometime in the late

80's but I don't know the specific date off hand. The front axles aren't any "heavier construction" on a 110 than a Range Rover of similar age. They are virtually identical if you take away the brake callipers ( tandem on teh Range Rover) and the drive flanges (flat, one piece, on the Range Rover to allow fitting of different wheels).

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White