Re: Propshaft removal

> >> > > >>See you on Monday? > >

STOP!!!!.......don't forget (I'm sure you won't but feel much better for stating the obvious.) that as soon as you remove the rear prop the Handbrake won't work.....picture it....Tim lying in the street wondering why everythings suddenly gone very bright. ;-)

At the risk of letting the transfer box do some overtime I'd drop the front prop. Then you can leave it off if you like till you go to get muddy. That way it'll still drive and you don't need to worry about the towing....and the handbrake works...also less rolling around on Monday, you can bet it'll rain if you need to get under to play with the prop at the other end.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D"

Two friends of mine were working on a Landy, and one of them disconnected the brakes, not realising the other had dropped the prop and had it held on the disc/drum brakes. They had to pay far a new wall, although luckily the One Ten wasn't damaged.

David

Reply to
David French

I hadn't thought of that, although the next door neighbours 306 does like quite sturdy.... I'm sure I'd have realised once I got under it though! (yeah, right...)

Dropping the front seems like a much better option. Presumably I should lock the centre diff?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:58:53 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

yes, if you want to drive it, or it'll not go anywhere. Not sure how good for it this process is, long-term. probably won't hurt it short-term, certainly not for manoeuvering it onto a trailer or somesuch.

below is my interpretation, I'd welcome comments on this.

for the purpose of towing it[1], you should be able to put the transfer box in neutral and tow suspended with the centre diff unlocked. The objection to towing is based AFAIK on the fact that the main gearbox is pressure-lubricated by an engine-side pump, and so the gearbox output shaft (which will still turn) gets no lubrication. If you put the transfer box in neutral, the main box won;t turn. If you *really* don't want it to turn, put the main box in gear, then the output shaft will stay still. The transfer box is splash lubricated anyway, so shouldn't have a problem.

[1] "it" in this case refers to any LR product which is fitted with LT95, LT77, R380 manual boxes. Doesn't apply to Range Rovers with the Borg Warner transfer box with LSD, or anything else with a torque-biasing diff in the centre.
Reply to
Austin Shackles