Re: Oil in intercooler pipe

Discovery Td5

> I have just taken the intercooler pipe off by the valve on the end of the > inlet manifold. And there is some oil in it is this normal or some thing no > right > > > > > Discovery Td5 2001 > Defender 110 Td5 2000 > MF 3080 4x4 > JD 2040S 4x4

I recently had my Turbo rebuilt on our Rangie as it wanted new bearings...more of a concern was this oil, however on chatting to the chaps at Turbo technics they said it's perfectly normal to have some oil in there and not to worry...my Turbo needed other work anyway so got the treatment.

Only will it become a concern when the oil getting through is enough to allow the endine to actually run on it's own engine oil instead of diesel in the event of which you have two options....

  1. Stall it
  2. Run like your pants are on fire.... indeed if you don't run fast enough they might well be.

So unless it's running oil as opposed to a covering then forget it.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:56:33 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, the way to stop a runaway is to block the air intake, presuming you can find something suitable to do this. You've got a short time before it eats all it's oil and goes bang.

Reply to
Austin Shackles