rebuilding doors

There's a company in Yeovil that refurbish doors, by welding-in new bits of frame etc., at a flat rate of around 100/door. I'm tempted to get this done with Marge's middle row doors, because of the cost of new ones.

Has anyone experience of this and if so, how did it go?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Well, post their name, contact number and address and I might go and have a look being as I could do with the same! I live about half an hour from Yeovil and regularly go there so could pop by in the landy to see what they reckon they could do and report back. My doors are toast.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sorry - it was an eBay ad, so I'll look for it.

My doors are Ryvita, probably. It's hard to tell as you can't see much under the heap of brown powder by the bench seat.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

This be the one

813671

Mark Solesbury

This be the one

813671

Mark Solesbury

Tends to be the corners that go first, for the time being I have resorted to pop riveting an angle bracket on my drivers door. (the worst of them) When the rust sets in further I shall have to start being more creative. It has always occured to me that there is nothing much wrong with a stout wooden frame, that was the way it used to be done in the 30's .

I had not realised that replacent doors had become so expensive that it justified having a new frame welded in.

I recently paid 60 odd quid for a glazed door top, cos I was in a hurry.

Reply to
Larry

01373 813671

OK, I'm going to Frome tomorrow, I'll try and remember to drop by and see what the place is like. I could do with a local landy independent so perhaps they might be a good candidate. My local in Yeovil went bankrupt recently.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In article , Mark Solesbury writes

Yes indeedy - I _knew it was something complicated and hard-to-remember like that.

Regards,

Simonm (and I haven't even started on the Christmas Port yet).

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Larry writes

I've got a rear and a pair of front doors waiting to be painted and fitted. It's the middle row that are eye-stretchingly expensive. As far as I know, for the push-button type, nobody yet makes a pattern replacement.

Genuine ones are somewhat dear (read "Oh!").

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

What, Land Rover Suk, hmm ;-)

I'll drop in tomorrow and post a first-impressions report.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Please do post back in this thread with any comments on this mob - I've seen their listing before but was a bit dubious, especially given the state of my middle row doors.

Reply to
null

My middle row were replaced by the dealer that sold them to me (albeit with a second hand pair)

I think the guy realised that he hadsold me a pup there.

I don't actually need a middle pair anymore being as I don't have seats there, I suppose one them serves as a fire escape and the other as access to the water container and gas cylinder.

Reply to
Larry

In article , Larry writes

I find the Gas Cylinder usually prefers to sit in the front :^)

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Absolutely!

I'd be much faster tying my shoelaces too, if I still had the instructions.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Did both of mine when I got it as the door skins were flapping in the wind. Folded back the skin and cleaned out the old rust and welded some new bits in using S3 doorframe channel.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

In article , jOn writes

I could do that (at a pinch). My welding is cr-er-poor, but I'm fairly good on that gauge of material. Where did you get the channel from?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Saw a cross section out of your knackered door frame and take it down to your friendly tin bashers, get them to fold a number of one metre pieces of the inside top hat section and the flat pieces which go against the ally, then get them to spot weld them together first. It's then quite easy to carefully bend the edges of the aluminium back to insert the mitred pieces with door clamped down flat (ally side down) to keep the shape, weld in those pieces and then put a thin piece of wood between the frame and the door skin to weld the flat piece that goes against the skin. Done loads in the past.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I've just got back, they seem like a decent bunch, first impressions only though but they've got a few industrial units, a mass of second-hand parts, and a shedful of Defenders and one or two old Discos so they look like a well-established independent garage and not some fleabay fly-by-night. Chances are I'll be taking my truck up there for some work sometime.

I asked about the door repairs, mine are way past saving but basically their service is to rebuild the lower frames and go up as far as required to fix the frame sides. Strangely enough on my doors the lower frames are about all that's still solid, perhaps mine was stored a long time on its roof!

It was mildly hard to find just going by postcode, the postcode on my satnav takes you to an industrial estate called Lakeside or similar, if you leave there and turn right to go to a T junction you'll see an orange sign pointing right to them, just turn right and follow the road and there's an orange Defender parked outside the right industrial estate and they're there. Not sure about courtesy cars at all, and it was a bit remote for taxis or other public transport.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

[snip for brevity only]

Many thanks Ian - they may have another new customer from here too!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Got it from Paddocks in Matlock, not the proper shape but it was better than the bottoms of the doors flapping loose. Not a megga neat welding job but its still holding a few years on. Think I used stikaflex to stick the channel to the skin. Where I cut the old frame out I had to cut the unfolded edge of the skin to get it out.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn