Removing AVM FWHs

Is there a knack to this? I've undone all the standard bolts and expected the FWH to pull off. It hasn't - and neither has the other one.... Is there something else I need to remove first? Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

I can't remember which is which now, but some still have the split pin in the end of the half shaft (black body with chrome "cap") and some require a screw to removed from the body near the drive flange and a plastic "locking thing" to be pulled out (it looks like a tywrap but with a loop on the end that the screw goes through.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Richard, From what I've read elsewhere its the plastic 'locking thing'. I'll have a good look tonight, but it's a tad chilly - so it might have to wait awhile..... The hub is the same as the SuperWinch ones - or at least thats what I've read! Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

I've got AVM's on my Landy, on mine there is an aluminium outer ring secured with six small screws. This has to be removed first complete with the locking assembly (comes out as one unit). Then you should be able to see the large nut and splitpin on the end of the stub axle. After pulling the pin and undoing the nut, the stub axle is then free. You can then undo the six larger bolts holding the FWH to the wheel hub. No plastic strips are used in this design . But getting the split pin in or out in the limited space is a bit fidlley. Hope this helps, John

Reply to
oilier than thou

That sounds exactly like mine. I didn't want to undo the screws just incase the innards fell to the floor in a pile.... Jon

Reply to
Jon