Stopping bolts from coming undone

Can you tell me what to use to stop bolts coming undone, e.g. bolts securing calipers to wheel hubs or ring gear to the carrier in a differential. Is superglue the right stuff to use?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam B

Superglue will probably work, but you're knackered if you want to get the bolts undone again. Use a threadlock compound, available for a few quid from any motorist discount shop or Halfrauds

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

bolts

Superglue is no good at all for locking screws. I'de suggest you use 'Loctite No 242' Fairly strong threadlocking solution. Best baught from an automotive factors or small tool supply co. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've never seen a locking compound specified for callipers - you just do them up to the correct torque.

The usual thread locking stuff is Locktite - you'll get it from any decent accessory shop. But there are different types for different jobs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

It's the blue Loctite for that isn't it?

Reply to
Stuart Gray

How naive! No previous posts and an idiotic question. You don't half fall for it, DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

?????????????????? : )

Reply to
Stuart Gray

How naive! No previous posts and an idiotic question. You don't half fall

Now you're confused. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

You mean replying to the OP? S'ok, I treat everyone as the lowest common denominator LOL, until I know better, especially when I'm surfing while boozing. ; ) , cheers !!!!

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I've had a few, but I still check. The OP has some knowledge but never wielded a spanner in anger in his life. Best wishes, DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Quite common actually , Mark1 Fiestas spring to mind. (Actually the instructions say use new bolts but all you get is a 10.9 bolt with preapplied threadlock)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Threadlock.

Reply to
Conor

That's super advice. Saved me from doing irreparable damage perhaps. I've placed an order for a suitable product now.

Adam

Reply to
Adam B

Just check you've bought the right one. Screwlocks wimpy, stud & bearing fit'll glue smooth plates together in a fashion that requires heat to separate them.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

co.

perhaps.

& bearing

heat to

Loctite have different strength threadlocking products, to suit whatever strength is req'd.

242 is one of the stronger ones, but can still be dismantled with ordinary tools if the need arises. Their studlock is slightly stronger. None of their screw or studlock products _should_ need heat to dismantle. OTOH, their retaining, and some of their bearing fit products. I,e, those intended for semi permanent applications, probably will need heat if used correctly. 200-250 degrees C, to break the bond. AFAIK they are the only Loctite products that do. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Ahh, the cheap and lazy method.

Personally I prefer some sort of mechanical locking arrangement (e.g. spring washers, split pins, tabbed washers, locking washers etc).

Mechanical arrangements are more obvious and you don't end up breaking torx T-40 bits trying to undo them (i.e. transit calipers...).

-- James

Reply to
James

Almost the opposit for everything upto studlock, they seem to reduce the corrosion

Reply to
Duncan Wood