replacing radiator on S2A

Don't bother - they cool bloody well with the stock fan.

Reply to
EMB

Hi everyone My rad has sprung a leak so i thought it might be a good time to upgrade it to an electric fan. Anyone know what is a good replacment that i can get from a scrapyard and would it run okay on my landie which still has a dynamo. cheers

Reply to
Splitpin

On or around Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:19:36 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

also, the stock fan is less likely to go wrong.

I only fit electric ones on things where for some reason I can't get a mechanical one on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

i fitted an electric fan from woolies (the tip) to my 11a about 12 years ago, while i was chasing fuel economy. the original 8 blade fan needed an engine of it`s own :^) the only part i had to buy, was an adjustable thermostat, about au$18 then. during normal driving, the fan will only cut in on hot summer days. 30c+....i carry the original fan and bolts under the seat, for heavy duty offroading. (a five minute job to refit) i think the electric fan is a cheap and easy mod. that has lots going for it. btw, still driving the same vehicle....... cheers john

Reply to
jonz

the electric fan on my car makes the lights dim and that has an alternator on so i reckon running one with a dynamo might be pushing it? what is the rating of a dynamo and how much does a leccy fan pull?

Reply to
Tom Woods

sounds like your battery might be going out to lunch...

Reply to
jonz

I'd check the power rating of any fan you buy, it could be up to 25A. The power output of a Lucas C39/C40 dynamo as fitted to S2 is 22A, althout you can under-regulate them to get about 25A if you push it. (or fit a C40L which is rated at 25A)

The standard fixed fan is fine for cooling, it's more likely that your radiator was quite blocked up in the first place, a old sludged up radiator makes an unbelieveable difference to cooling.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Is there no way to fit a Defender viscous fan to the older machines? And is it a good idea I wonder? That way you'd get the best of all worlds, no current drain, and a fan that only sucks engine power when it has to. Whether it starts cutting in at the right time or not I have no idea.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

the start temp for the viscous fan is set according to the engine it is designed for.( would be stamped on unit probly)....with the elec. unit it is variable, as mentioned before, and (unless your towing a double horse box or similar) runs infrequently, so bugger all current draw....work for me :^)

Reply to
jonz